PDA

View Full Version : custom tank lighting advice

mythic
08-16-2010, 05:36 AM
hey everyone

just looking to pick your brains regarding ligting a 5'x3'x18" high
what would you recommend or how would you go about lighting it if it was your tank?

I'm thinking T5 all the way,I'd like to go ATI PM but I doubt I can sell the organs required but you never know,they do come up in the used section at little more doable price,albiet rich.Are ATI so super sexy because of the ballasts?...What's the break down when comparing it to a lower end T5?
Let's say Odyysea? In simple terms please,I've read a lot of the testing results on bulbs/fixtures etc.and it hurts my brain.

would 2x250w MH light the tank? at 18" less the sand and unusable depth on the top how far off the tank would they need to be? ...I'd have supplement the colored bulbs(actinics)I guess...or would I?

How about 4x150w MH for each corner?

I'm ok with not fully lighting the tank foorprint,within reason,I think it'd be fine to have an outer perimeter for lower light stuff.I'd like to have the option to grow most any SPS or at worst middle of the care spectrum stuff.
Also,I plan on putting about 100-125lbs of LR in the back portion of the display with lots of open area in front,thinking rock islands for zoas and clams or whatever.I have lots of room for rock under the stand.

Looking for you opinions please,budget in mind.
I've pretty much ruled out putting 36" fixtures front to back on the tank.But that could be an option.

Disclaimer--The word aquarium and the word budget should NEVER be said in the same context but there ya go.

What would you do?