PDA

View Full Version : Chambered Nautilus

chilumba
08-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Does anybody know any aquarium stores that sells chambered nautilus, preferebly in BC or Alberta but others provinces welcome.
http://www.weirdseamonsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/chambered-nautilus.jpg

Zoaelite
08-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Does anybody know any aquarium stores that sells chambered nautilus, preferebly in BC or Alberta but others provinces welcome.
http://www.weirdseamonsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/chambered-nautilus.jpg

I saw my first one ever @ Ocean city in Calgary , dont know if it's still there but I know he can get them in.

o.c.d.
08-15-2010, 03:22 AM
Golds in Calgary has had them in before, special order. Please tell me you are aware they are a deep water animal that are very sensitive to light, and need to be kept in a species specific tank design.

Slick Fork
08-15-2010, 04:31 AM
I was in Red Coral on Friday and they had nautilus eggs

chilumba
08-15-2010, 04:47 AM
Golds in Calgary has had them in before, special order. Please tell me you are aware they are a deep water animal that are very sensitive to light, and need to be kept in a species specific tank design.

Yes I do know that they need a chiller, species olny tank, dimmed light and food requirements. I thinking about breeding them soon. It would be neat because olny three aquariums or reasearchers in the world. And also this is not an impulse buy I research all the fish I have before buying them.

Seamazter
08-15-2010, 05:07 AM
Ocean-city sold theirs try the other Calgary stores.

chilumba
08-15-2010, 05:39 AM
Does anybody know the price of ocean citys nautilus and golds nautilus?

sohal tang
08-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Although I admire your selection of animals with the nautilus which is extremely interesting animal......I have heard that marine biologists have hard time keeping this animal ALIVE
in captivity for any good length of time.....It is an animal that should not even be available
to the hobby possibly....

Something for you to consider..even though you have researched.....if the marine
biologists cannot keep them alive...what are your chances realistically?

best of luck either way

Tim

Seamazter
08-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Does anybody know the price of ocean citys nautilus and golds nautilus?

Ocean-city sold theirs try the other Calgary stores.

Zoaelite
08-15-2010, 05:44 PM
I would lean towards +1 Sohal Tang

Chilumba you ever live in Hawaii?

chilumba
08-15-2010, 07:19 PM
I would lean towards +1 Sohal Tang

Chilumba you ever live in Hawaii?

So your saying roughly the cost of a nautilus is the cost of a sohal tang.

I wish I did live in hawaii, although I did go for two weeks on the big island in kona. Maybe one day soon:mrgreen: Why, offering me a house LOL.

chilumba
08-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Does anybody have gold aquariums email?

chilumba
08-16-2010, 06:10 AM
I should tell you about the setup I am planning. A 60"x30"x30" 234 gallon aquarium which will house 8-10 chambered nautilus. A couple of blue led strips on for 12 hours and one or two blu/white led strips on for 6 hours. They'll be fed bc spot prawns or dungenous crab legs every four days or so. The sump will have a chiller, protein skimmer, refugium and a heater just incase. And hopefully they'll spawn in my tank as I would like to breed them.

fkshiu
08-16-2010, 06:24 AM
So your saying roughly the cost of a nautilus is the cost of a sohal tang.

I wish I did live in hawaii, although I did go for two weeks on the big island in kona. Maybe one day soon:mrgreen: Why, offering me a house LOL.

No, I think he means that he agrees with Sohal Tang's (the user) post warning you that since marine biologists have a hard time keeping nautilii alive, that it might be a species best left in the ocean.

Mandosh
08-16-2010, 06:33 AM
Is you tag line a wish list or species you currently keep? To me it looks like a whos who of the hard to find, hard to keep, and even harder to afford.

chilumba
08-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Is you tag line a wish list or species you currently keep? To me it looks like a whos who of the hard to find, hard to keep, and even harder to afford.

No I don't own any of them but maybe onE day:) they are all deepwater Hawaiian fish. Some of them you probably won't see them in Canada unless I get them!

o.c.d.
08-17-2010, 01:15 AM
So why do you have a list of deep water Hawaiian fish on your profile? Is that like a hit list? You're a total Gangster! :2gunfire: and you may be the only one in Canada to get them. Yep Gangster! You loco homme

naesco
08-17-2010, 01:38 AM
No I don't own any of them but maybe onE day:) they are all deepwater Hawaiian fish. Some of them you probably won't see them in Canada unless I get them!

You know the extreme difficulties in keeping nautilus.
Why don't you see if you can keep one of them alive and if you are successful for a year or so add another one rather than going all out with 8 or so

chilumba
08-17-2010, 08:12 AM
You know the extreme difficulties in keeping nautilus.
Why don't you see if you can keep one of them alive and if you are successful for a year or so add another one rather than going all out with 8 or so

That's actually not a bad idea in fact I just might do that. Didn't even think about that.

Thank You!

chilumba
08-17-2010, 08:16 AM
So why do you have a list of deep water Hawaiian fish on your profile? Is that like a hit list? You're a total Gangster! :2gunfire: and you may be the only one in Canada to get them. Yep Gangster! You loco homme

Yep you caught me LOL. Just my favorite deepwater Hawaiian fish I plan to own on day and hopefully breed some of them. And letting the captive bred ones for sale to canada first!

SpateD
08-17-2010, 12:16 PM
@Chilumba - Good Luck dude. I don't know anyone wanting to spend that kind of money on insane to keep fish. If you were a billionaire, sure. But you're just asking for failure.

http://glassbox-design.com/2009/440ft-dive-finds-the-illusive-prognathodes-basabei-ballparked-at-6k/

chilumba
08-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Well actually prognathodes basabei was selling for $4500 to a hobbyist.:lol: Holanthias fuscipinnis was $2000 but recently a deepwater diver got a rebreather and collected them and sold for olny $600 each. As for bodianus sanguineus was $2000. But hey who said I couldnčt collect them myself!:mrgreen: Right now there are olny two different people collecting deepwater hawaiian species but Briane Greene used to collect deepwater fish of the pacific like the Dr. suess saopfish and olny sold fort $1000. He own twilight aquatics and said on aother reef forum that he will be coming out of retirement! Also in the past week Rob a deepwater diver collected not one but two female genicanthus personatus a a disclosed location at 257 feet. Both went to EZ marines Tawain and were the sold to them for the price of $6500 each.

jorjef
08-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Well there ya go, those aren't billionaire prices!!!! lets all buy a few! lol ... Or I could snorkle to Hawaii and get them for free...Hardest part is snorkling through the Rockies to get there...That's a lot of up hill swimming...

chilumba
08-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Prognathodes basabei is collected at 400ft, Genicanthus personatus was collected at 257ft and holanthias fuscipinnis and bodianus sanguineus can be collected around 150ft I think. First we should group buy for rebreathers! Lets see for 5 rebreathers oh thats only $50,000 LOL.

jorjef
08-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Maybe if I waved a nice East coast Smelt in the water they would come up a little closer to the surface so I could use my "snorkle kit"....