PDA

View Full Version : Frogfish questions

Travis
08-14-2010, 08:01 PM
So I am setting up an 33gallon and I have been doing alot of research on these fish and I was just wondering what your experiences were with these fish and how you trained it to take frozen Thanks.

Jeff_
08-14-2010, 08:46 PM
This would probably get more attention if it was moved to the marine fish section (maybe a mod could to do it?) but I'll share a little bit of my experience with mine anyways. I had mine for several months before I shut down the tank and for the first few days it did not eat at all, it took a few more days to get it used to the live ghost shrimp I was feeding it and within a few weeks I was able to train it to eat from a pair of feeding tongs. It definitely took some time (few weeks?) for it to associate tongs with feeding, but soon after it ate almost any live food that was held in the tongs (had to switch over to feeder minnows cause I had no source for ghost shrimp on a regular basis) but it still wasn't taking frozen. At the two month mark I thought I had lost him because I couldn't find him but a few weeks later there and behold he showed up again. At that point I had no live food so I tried giving him a frozen silverside, and what do you know he took the whole thing probably because he was hungry. I think the key is to help them associate some feeding tool to food (ie tongs, rigid airline tubing, etc) that will help them transition and not to force him to eat, just give them some time to settle in before trying to feed them. As for time between feeding I just wait until he starts to fish before I feed him, that way I know he doesnt have too much food in him. Hope that helps.

Travis
08-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks for sharing.