PDA

View Full Version : Eleictrician or EE

Delphinus
11-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Anyone got a Fluke (or similar) multimeter capable of measure amp draw in the neighbourhood of 1-2A (each) on a 120V circuit? The actual power draw at the wall?

If so please let me know ... I need your help

Bob I
11-22-2003, 09:26 PM
At this rate I will soon hit 2000 posts. However, I could never afford a Fluke. But current depends on load, so you need to measure with the load connected. So a clamp-on like an Amprobe would do the trick, and doggone it I don't have a working one at the moment. Perhaps Ross can help :question: :question:

rossb
11-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Actually I do have a meter that is capable of doing just that. Now who do I lend that to :biggrin: ?

Tony you just have to open 1 leg of the circuit and insert the meter in between. With a low current like 1 or two amps, that meter should do just fine. If you look on the front of it there should be several buttons one will be ohms, one will be volts and one will be amps.

Altough this is not the same meter it illustrates how to measure current
http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/vomillia.htm

andestang
11-23-2003, 04:57 AM
Tony, I have a Fluke 88 if you need to borrow it :cool: Just say the word (or post :biggrin: )
cheers,

Delphinus
11-23-2003, 11:57 PM
I'm kinda nervous to play with other people's toys er tools when they look kinda expensive and it has to do with stuff that can go "ZOT!"

My confusion is regarding a ballast that I have no info on what the crest (if I understand the term correctly) amperage is. I know what the peak is (since it's stamped on the unit) but not the overall running info.

Just trying to figure out ways to reduce the ol' hydro bill ... it's kinda up there :neutral:

Bob I
11-24-2003, 01:38 AM
I guess that is why I resist the urge to go MH, and stay with PC's. I also stick with things that have modest requirements. :rolleyes: