PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing new fish tank help

Kevotron
08-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Heres a short background story
I wanna get out of my current 120G that I bought from Aquagiant years ago
I didnt know much back then and had little funds... hence I settled for it
The plumbing of the tank is just horrendous, Overflow Box and sump poorly designed

Should I Buy Used from a fellow reefer or brand new
If Brand new any recommendations ?
Only 2 places I know is AI & Marine Aquaria

BlueWorldAquatic
08-14-2010, 01:22 PM
There are great deals to be had with used, but you may not get exactly what you want in the long run.

Ken - BWA

fishytime
08-14-2010, 03:30 PM
lots of quality choices if you wanna go new in cowtown, if you wanna drive 6 hrs to pick up the tank:wink::mrgreen:

paddyob
08-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Watch for used. I got a fantastic deal on my 70... only 9 months old with stand.. $70. If you dont mind waiting. Something will come up.

I am not finding everything I need so some parts will be new... but you still save a wad of cash that you can put towards those other pieces.

By the way... I plugged the skimmer in a few days back... let it run in my sump while doing a fresh water leak test.... gotta say its damn quiet!! Cant wait to get it doing its job!!

Thanks

mike31154
08-14-2010, 04:04 PM
120 is a nice sized tank, it's what I'm planning for a future build. So the plumbing is horrendous, have you considered fixing it? You might be farther ahead seeing if you can get your current tank drilled to improve the plumbing nightmare and a sump can also be fixed or replaced without having to spring for a whole system. Just an idea, unless you're looking for something even larger or perhaps smaller.

paddyob
08-14-2010, 04:12 PM
120 is a nice sized tank, it's what I'm planning for a future build. So the plumbing is horrendous, have you considered fixing it? You might be farther ahead seeing if you can get your current tank drilled to improve the plumbing nightmare and a sump can also be fixed or replaced without having to spring for a whole system. Just an idea, unless you're looking for something even larger or perhaps smaller.

The thing about Aquagiant plumbing is that it is Metric. I was looking at parts there... as they are cheaper... and he told me it will not fit North American fittings. That because all parts are Chinese they are done in metric measurements.

So you would have to buy Aquagiant parts or find someone who deals in metric parts.

Is this something you encountered Kev? It was just recently they told me this.

Kevotron
08-14-2010, 04:50 PM
The thing about Aquagiant plumbing is that it is Metric. I was looking at parts there... as they are cheaper... and he told me it will not fit North American fittings. That because all parts are Chinese they are done in metric measurements.

So you would have to buy Aquagiant parts or find someone who deals in metric parts.

Is this something you encountered Kev? It was just recently they told me this.

Ya that is exactly it... everything is in metric
so they dont have ANY parts available for me to even fix my current issue
hence i just wanna say Fxxx it and start brand new

Albertan22
08-14-2010, 05:57 PM
If you're going new Big Al's also has a decent selection. They're a bit cheaper than AI because everything that AI has is custom built in Edmonton, while Big Al's stocks and orders brand name tanks. Both have their benefits and their drawbacks, so it depends on what you're looking for.

Big Tang
08-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Just redrill the holes to standard size's.Then you have no problems finding parts and know there tanks aren't tempered.