PDA

View Full Version : Advice for getting started?

IJC
11-22-2003, 08:38 PM
I'm getting back into the hobby after a 6 year hiatus... used to keep FW tanks and a 70g saltwater when I was younger. I've been researching a lot for the past couple months and this is what my plans are so far:

Looking for something used, btwn 50 - 70g, with a roomy cabinet.... realizing a drilled tank is hard to find used, so I'll be looking to get it done.
Thinking ~25 g DIY sump, with skimmer, and perhaps Miracle Mud(opinions?) + some good sump lighting.

I'm trying to keep costs down, but I realize I'll have to spend some money on lighting.... still, I'm thinking PC to start as I don't think I'll be going sps for a while. Looking at a 2x 96w 36 inch fixture.

Planning to get as much LR as I can afford, and putting in an asthetics-oriented sand bed of no more than an inch.

I live in a fairly small apartment, downtown Van, so I'm trying to keep this as neat and compact as possible (got to stay out of the doghouse with the GF). I'm also worried about my water source.

Just trying to plan as much as possible befor taking the plunge... so if anyone has opinions on this set-up, or if anyone can refer me to any person or resource, I'd really appreciate it. Sorry for the rambling

Samw
11-22-2003, 08:59 PM
Hey welcome aboard. Where abouts in downtown Van? I'm near Yaletown. I still have a 36" 96W Aqualight for sale if you want to use it as a supplement.

IJC
11-22-2003, 09:12 PM
I'm on Robson and Howe.... about as downtown as it gets.
Just from what I've seen on this site, it seems like there are quite a few reef keepers around.... good to know.

I'm definately interested in your aqualight, but I want to buy a tank before anything else, just so I know exactly what I'm working with. If I do get a 36" tank, you'll be the first to know.

sumpfinfishe
11-23-2003, 01:04 AM
Welcome to Canreef IJC :biggrin:

One option you could look at is to go with a 40gl shallow.
Alot of stores use these tanks as they are ideal to keep almost anything in without the use of expensive lighting. I have a 27gl shallow, and it's worked out great :exclaim: My tank measures W12xH15xL36, so it's long and shallow. The 40gl is the same except it's 18' in width. I have mostly LPS and SPS corals in the tank now, and I'm only running 90w of NO lighting. I admit that my acro's are not being fragged every month, but they are all alive and healthy with nice coloration. I have about 10 SPS species now and have seen an inch in growth in all the species that I have had longer than 6 months. With the shallow tank, a 2" LSB, and LR that means alot of my corals are in the middle and higher range of the tank. The lights sit directly over the tank seperated by a 1/2" acrylic top.
This is just a suggestion though, I'm not trying to talk you out of something bigger, and you could always use the 40gl as a sump when you upgrade to over the 100gl club :mrgreen:
You can see pics of my tank on the link below.

Bob I
11-23-2003, 01:45 AM
It is sure nice to see someone else, who does not belong to the MH fan club. I myself have a 50G tank, which is 36X18X18. I have a four inch sandbed, so about the same depth as yours. I have a 2X96W PC Aqualight, with only one tube lit up most of the day. I only have softies, LPS, and polyps. I am very happy with that lighting. :mrgreen:

sumpfinfishe
11-23-2003, 02:21 AM
Hey Bob,
:idea: maybe we should ask Titus if we can start a pc/no forum :mrgreen:

At your next club meeting, try getting your hands on a small blue or green acro frag and see how it works, you can check out my system below to see my placements-lot's of flow and some glow of the NO'S :biggrin:

So now there's two- do I hear three :question:

Bob I
11-23-2003, 02:36 AM
I would love to check it out, but see no link. :cry:

Skimmerking
11-23-2003, 03:03 AM
hey there Bob i will back you up with the ligthing form ,I'm always trying new things and not ready for the MH lights yet had them but i love the pink look on the vho's
anyway i have softies and leathers with one SPS frag doing good .in a couple of yrs, once i have my reactor and everything is doing great i will convert to SPS and have it full.

LAter

Mike

sumpfinfishe
11-23-2003, 03:06 AM
and now there's 3 :cool:

Samw
11-23-2003, 03:42 AM
I would love to check it out, but see no link. :cry:

Just click on the "WWW" icon below Rich's post.

sumpfinfishe
11-23-2003, 04:33 AM
Sorry Bob :frown:
I missed that reply some how :rolleyes:

Tanks Sam :mrgreen:

IJC
11-23-2003, 05:04 AM
Rich,

Very impressive tank... some of the best colors i've seen in online pictures.

I am certainly keeping dimensions in mind while looking for a tank... I think I want to go with 18" deep if I can get away with it though - just for the bigger display area. I guess I'll have to pile up some rock or something to put the light-lovers on.

I like the look of the 36x18x18. There sure are a lot of tall narrow tanks out there... some to the point where they seem pretty useless.

Thanks for the help.... I'll probably be needing a lot of it ;)

StirCrazy
11-23-2003, 05:11 AM
It is sure nice to see someone else, who does not belong to the MH fan club.

remember he said for now :mrgreen: :wink:

Steve

sumpfinfishe
11-23-2003, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the kind words IJC :biggrin:

It sounds like you have an idea what you want-that's good :biggrin:
I think your 2x96w p/c would work for a 50gl of softies no problem.
IMO I would buy the tank new not used, that way you know what stress it's been through-which would hopefully be none except for a few holes :mrgreen: PM me if you need any help, cheers Rich

remember he said for now

Steve

Steve, I said those same words 6 years ago, and look at me still enjoying my ity bity little tank :razz: :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
11-23-2003, 05:31 AM
Steve, I said those same words 6 years ago, and look at me still enjoying my ity bity little tank :razz: :mrgreen:

your on the edge though :mrgreen: your going to wake up one morning and say " I want to see the real colors of these there SPS" then its over.. out you go and buy MH bulbs :eek:

Steve

sumpfinfishe
11-23-2003, 05:39 AM
You can do your best Steve but I'm not budging for now :biggrin:

As for coloration, my green acro is green, my purple tip bottlebrush has purple tips, and my yellow porites is yellow, unless I'm colorblind in which case I would be drinking Pepsi when I really wanted a #@$# Coke :mrgreen: :razz:

Until I make the jump, you will have to pop bye next time your on this side of the water and be the judge :wink: