PDA

View Full Version : + and - on led's

KevinK
08-13-2010, 10:10 PM
so on the LED star there is a + and a -

would it matter if I have the + and - sometimes the other way around like

driver -> + led - + led - and than - led + + led - - driver

do thy work the same as a regular lamp (whire + and - ore - and + douse not matter)

this becouse I soddered som LED's together and now se that I have 2 in there that are opposid, and wonder if I have to re sodder them yes / no

Ron99
08-13-2010, 10:39 PM
No. LEDs are polar and must be hooked up the right way or they won't work or conduct electricity through to the other LEDs in the string.

KevinK
08-13-2010, 11:26 PM
douse this mean that when I conect them, the others blow?

Ron99
08-13-2010, 11:50 PM
No, just that no electricity will flow and none will light up. LEDs and diodes only flow current in one direction and block it in the other.

xblade
08-14-2010, 05:52 PM
No, just that no electricity will flow and none will light up. LEDs and diodes only flow current in one direction and block it in the other.

Perfectly stated..

LED = light emitting diode

This should help
http://www.theledlight.com/ledcircuits.html

originalozzyo
08-14-2010, 11:38 PM
You should wire them in parallel with all the negative (cathode) on side and positive (anode) on the other. If you wire in series + - + - + - so on and something happens to one LED then all the others will go out since the circuit is now incomplete

Ron99
08-14-2010, 11:52 PM
You should wire them in parallel with all the negative (cathode) on side and positive (anode) on the other. If you wire in series + - + - + - so on and something happens to one LED then all the others will go out since the circuit is now incomplete

That isn't recommended for most drivers because if one goes the others still light but end up getting more current and possibly burning out too. Best to wire them in series as recommended by the driver manufacturers. The odds of an LED burning out are low. they are fairly durable unless abused with to much current or voltage.