PDA

View Full Version : Vortech MP40w ES Mode Question

viperfish
08-13-2010, 09:17 PM
I have had my MP40 running for a couple of weeks and in that time I have played with all the settings. I really like the short pulse mode the best, I am getting a really nice wave moving across my tank and the corals seem to really like it. My only fear is that I can't help but think this mode is really hard on the pump, surging every few seconds. Has anyone been running in this mode for any length of time? I wouldn't want to prematurely wear out my motor because I am running in this mode all the time.

sitandwatch
08-13-2010, 09:52 PM
I am running 2 mp40's at full 75% of the time in Ecomode for about 3months now and they seem to be holding up fine.

Ron99
08-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I think the DC motors used in these are pretty durable in start stop operation.

viperfish
08-14-2010, 12:08 AM
My buddy Smudge put me on to this link http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1890155 apparently running them at max speed all the time is toughest on the motor.

dragoneggs
08-14-2010, 01:07 AM
I have been running two opposite ends of tank properly sync'd for several months now but I dialed mine to about 75% (for wear reasons). I have to say I have been enjoying (and hope the corals too) the reef crest mode. It creates a random pattern throughout the day and then I switch to night mode when the lights go out. I think that is 50% of setting so night mode should be at 3/8th of full power.

Tough to say whether this is good since I don't have any long term relative data to compare but... for what it is worth! I would enjoy others reports on settings and wear as well.

BlueTang<3
08-14-2010, 02:00 AM
I was running my 4 on short pulse and had about a 3/4 inch wave going for about 4 months with no issues, but it adds a lot of stress to the tank. I since switched to reef crest i have had same results. Have had mine for over a year at 100% and have noticed a significant amount of wear/play in the shaft. Thinking of rebuilding the wet ends soon.

mike31154
08-14-2010, 03:39 PM
My first MP40W is over two years old and the second a year and a few months. The original was a Gen 1, couple of months before the Gen 2 upgrade was released which featured a firmware update with several new modes. Before the update I used short pulse for a while running it up to almost full power. Aside from the increased wear using that mode, I found the ramping up/down sound fairly annoying when things were relatively quiet in the rest of the house, particularly at night time. Night mode was not available on my original and I didn't use it while I only had a single MP40 since I felt the flow would be insufficient. Aside from the new magnet, driveshaft, bearing etc. that came with the Gen 2 upgrade kit for my original pump, neither one has required any additional parts and are both running flawlessly.

After getting the second pump and recently upgrading both to the new ES drivers, I've switched to using the Tidal Swell Mode (TSM) with speed setting up to about 75-80%. I also use the night mode now with two pumps. I've played around with creating a wave, but must say I'm not really a fan of this mode. I find the TSM provides a good, chaotic, random flow in my system with gradual speed changes of both pumps over a period of about 2 hours. Keeps detritus suspended very well, pump noise levels reasonable and less wear & tear. I don't slow them down for feeding either. Sometimes they happen to be at the highest setting when the auto feeder drops the vittles, but I've found my critters are adapting to chasing the food. Whoever said clownfish are poor swimmers has not seen my Mama Maroon in action.

Your 150 gal system would really benefit from the added options available with a second, perhaps even third (MP10 on the back wall) VorTech.

My only beef with these things is the night mode time shift, EcoTech really has to get that sorted out. For a company with such great customer service, they're dragging their feet with a solution on this. Only reply they give on their forum on RC is to email them. I suspect there's more involved than a simple firmware update of the internal clock/timer, or it certainly would have been out by now.