PDA

View Full Version : AC3 Pro email setup - Need help please

Doo
08-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Can't get my AC to send me email alarms. I know the alarm programming is correct because it worked on my AC Jr. (I copied the programming over to the AC3 Pro)

I have something setup incorrectly and can't figure it out - if there is an expert out there that can help me out - I would appreciate it for sure :)

Thanks

whatcaneyedo
08-13-2010, 11:39 PM
How is your controller connected to the internet? Ethernet cable to modem/router or serial cable to internet enabled computer with a full version of aquanotes?

abcha0s
08-14-2010, 02:26 AM
Doo

There are really only two possible reasons why this wouldn't be working.

1. Your code is wrong and the email alerts aren't being triggered. Please post your code so that we can review it.

2. The network settings are incorrect.

What smtp server are you using?
What ISP are you using?
What DNS server are you using?

If you compare the DNS server on the ACIII to the DNS configuration on you PC, do they match?

Can you take a screen shot of the email configuration options and post to the forum?

Please post more details so that we can help..

->

I assume that you are able to access the ACIII from the web? - This tells us that your IP address, netmask and default gateway are all set correctly.

abcha0s
08-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Emails are sent out with alarm state changes.

ALM&-F01

If Temp < 76.5 Then ALM ON
If Temp > 76.5 Then ALM OFF
Max Change 060 M Then ALM ON

Doo
08-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Doo

There are really only two possible reasons why this wouldn't be working.

1. Your code is wrong and the email alerts aren't being triggered. Please post your code so that we can review it.
ALM&-C01

If Temp > 83.0 Then ALM ON
If Temp < 75.5 Then ALM ON
If pH > 07.00 Then ALM ON
If pH < 06.66 Then ALM ON

2. The network settings are incorrect.

What smtp server are you using?
smtp.gmail.com
What ISP are you using?
Not sure what that is?
What DNS server are you using?
If you compare the DNS server on the ACIII to the DNS configuration on you PC, do they match?
How do I do that?

Can you take a screen shot of the email configuration options and post to the forum?
Attached

Please post more details so that we can help..

->

I assume that you are able to access the ACIII from the web?
YES I CAN- This tells us that your IP address, netmask and default gateway are all set correctly.

Thanks for your help!

abcha0s
08-16-2010, 03:03 PM
You DNS server is wrong. It should be 4.2.2.2 not 2.2.2.2

Doo
08-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the reply - I changed it as per your suggestion and tried to send a test email - nothing came through...

Does the SMTP look right? smtp.gmail.com

Thanks again!

whatcaneyedo
08-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Setting up email notifications with aquanotes was even more of a PITA than doing it with the controller interface... What really bugged me is that your computer has to be left on with the program running all of the time for it to work. But if you just use the controller with an ethernet cable you dont have to do that.

BTW I cant even read the text in your image. Its too small so sorry I cant really help.

abcha0s
08-19-2010, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the reply - I changed it as per your suggestion and tried to send a test email - nothing came through...

Does the SMTP look right? smtp.gmail.com

Thanks again!

I've never used smtp.gmail.com but it does appear to be a valid smtp server. A quick search on google suggests that this smtp server requires authentication. To my knowledge the ac3 doesn't support authentication, so this could be your problem.

In any event, this is why I asked who your ISP was. BTW, ISP stands for Internet Service Provider and would be the company who you pay for your Internet connection.

The reason this is relevant is that you should be using the smtp server of your ISP as it would not require authentication.

Call your ISP. Ask them what the full address of their smtp server is and use this.

Note: it must be the full address. The hostname alone does not work unless you are directly connected to the Internet (you are not). You must use the full address.

Doo
08-19-2010, 06:37 PM
thanks for the feedback - i will call telus and get it setup...

thanks

Doo
08-19-2010, 07:27 PM
still struggling!

smtp.telus.net - is this the full address?
Using port 25 - is this the right port?

Thanks

Doo
09-09-2010, 07:07 PM
anyone with a pro using Telus?

Thanks

PoonTang
09-09-2010, 07:12 PM
You could try the neptune support forum on RC