PDA

View Full Version : Puffer and Volitans food??

banditpowdercoat
08-13-2010, 05:03 AM
OK, IMPULSE buy today at JL. We get down once a year maybe so.... But, got a FOxface, Porc Puffer and a Volitans Lionfish. Now, what do I need to go shopping for for food??

Thx in advance. All I have near me is a Total Pet. they do have frozen Silversides. Sanfransisco Bay frozen products.

edikpok
08-13-2010, 05:40 AM
try cutting raw prawns / shrimps... both the puffer and lion should like it... try soaking it in Selcon if they don't eat. Foxface - should eat raw shrimps / prawns but they also love nori and green lettuce

The lion might also go for silversides - especially if you skew them on this transparent stick and move it in the water. Not sure what is called but I bought mine in JL.

viperfish
08-13-2010, 06:14 AM
I have a Puffer, Trigger, Tangs, Clowns, and Wrasses. I buy a bag of raw unpeeled shrimp and a bag of sea scallops at Costco (Walmart also sells them). I cut them up into different size pieces because the Trigger and Puffer like to tear apart large pieces and the Tangs like the smaller ones. There is tons of nutrition in raw seafood, no need for extra vitamins as long as thier diet is varied. You can also buy a bag of mixed seafood at Walmart, it has squid, octopus, and shrimp all mixed together. I tried it once but my fish seemed to enjoy the shrimp and scallops much better.

snow1
08-13-2010, 06:57 AM
I saw those guys the other day too, nice looking fish you bought there.:) You should have bought that lookdown.

whatcaneyedo
08-13-2010, 01:26 PM
I used to feed my volitan krill, silversides, mussel, clam and squid. All raw.

banditpowdercoat
08-13-2010, 03:45 PM
I saw those guys the other day too, nice looking fish you bought there.:) You should have bought that lookdown.

Ya my wife REALLY wanted the lookdown, and the Purple Scorpion. Untill she saw the prices HAahahahaha:mrgreen:

banditpowdercoat
08-14-2010, 07:07 PM
OK, I got frozen Silversides, Scallops and Prawns. Now how do I feed them?? Or more specifically,how does my WIFE feed them hahah. I'm going away for 2 weeks tomorrow. Lionfish hasnt eaten yet, and puffer died!Dunno why pufer died, he looked really active when I acclimated him :(. Do you chop up and just drop in tank? I want to prepare some food for while I'm gone. I couldnt find a clear skewer stick. Some of the silversides are pretty big, like 3" long. Is that to long to feet to Lion?

whatcaneyedo
08-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Really large pieces I scure onto the end of a thin plasic feeding rod (I bought one at J&L). Smaller/narrower pieces I lodge into the end of some 1/4" ID hollow acylic rod. I used to also just use some salad tongs to hold the pieces underwater in front of the fish.

It depends on how large the lion is. My big one would have been able to eat a 3" silverside. If you think thats too large try a smaller one out of the package or just break the larger one in half.

banditpowdercoat
08-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Thx Russell. This lion is smaller than your for sure. Maybe 5" total, head to tip of tail. It might just be to soon for him to eat maybe. I was hoping he would eat before I had to leave to work.

whatcaneyedo
08-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Was it eating at the store? Usually volitans are pretty good at eating frozen but sometimes they can require a little work. Something that has worked really well for me in the past to wean one over was to mount a small silverside to a semi rigid lenth of thin wire and then move it around in the tank as if it were swimming. If it continues to be a problem you may have to offer it some live guppies.

My fu manchu is about 4" and I generally feed it pieces no longer than 1". If that helps.

banditpowdercoat
08-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Umm, I never asked if it was eating. It was from JL so I would assume??? I'll look fro some wire. Just choped up some Silversides, Scallops and Prawns and put them back in freezer. Hopefully the Mrs can feed them easy enough....