PDA

View Full Version : Refugium and carbon

tuck
08-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Hi

I have a 55ga without a sump and no room for one. I would like to add a HOB refugium where my filter (which only has charcoal in it) is now. I was thinking of incorporating the charcoal into the refugium I just haven't figured out how to yet. What do you think? is it possible? is there already something on the market that will do this? or a DIY project? is it even a good idea?

Suggestions, experience would be great, thanks.

intarsiabox
08-13-2010, 02:13 AM
You can add a hang on media reactor to your tank for your carbon use such as a 2 little fishies reactor. They are more effecient than a bag of carbon in a filter anyway. Then you can keep your refugium seperate.

Myka
08-13-2010, 05:50 AM
I also suggest the TLF Phosban reactor. You can also add a layer of GFO to the carbon in the reactor, and get double the bang for the buck! :D

blacknife
08-13-2010, 06:36 AM
there are some on the market, I have one sitting here collecting dust now that i have a sump.

there are other brands out there but this is like the one i have<mine is older>

http://www.salinesolutions.net/refugium.html

if your good with acrylic it might work as a diy project.

it worked fairly well for me when i did have a sump-less

tuck
08-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm headed to J & L soon and it's always nice to know a little about what I'm inquiring about so as not to appear completely clueless. I really appreciate the links, pictures are always good.

Thanks

blacknife
08-14-2010, 06:05 PM
my old tank was also sitting somewhere i could not put a sump but there was about 10 inches of room behind it i was thinking of buying/building a tall skinny tank that would sit higher than my existing tank and drilling a hole in it to gravity drain back to my main tank, i think there is some info for things like that on the net somewhere as thats where i got the idea.