PDA

View Full Version : Mystery of the morning

Trabby
08-12-2010, 06:42 PM
So as I'm observing my 90g reef in the dark this morning I noticed that a few things got rearranged overnight.... Mainly a couple of zoas that were not affixed to anything. No big deal this happens from time to time... Then I notice that a chunk of rubble about 2x2 is moved... Something is missing... So after looking closer I see that one of my zoa colonys are gone!! So on come the actinics and I'm looking for where they ended up... This is where it gets weird... I found them somehow pulled into a little cave area in the rockwork.. So basically the rubble chunk was pushed out onto sandbed... And the zoas that were next to it pulled in and under the rock..

A- I'm not sure I can pull them out without dismantling the left side of the rocks
B- I'm scared there might be a monster in there :s

my immediate thoughts are do I have something nasty lurking in there trying to lure me with my zoas? Does anybody have any thoughts.....

DiverDude
08-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Sounds like the work of a.....CRAB ! (or possibly a shrimp (pistol or bulldozer).

Mandosh
08-12-2010, 08:04 PM
I had a baseball sized colony of dendros move six inches across the sandbed last night...

JonT
08-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Could be a worm....

Reading this link may make you think twice about sticking your hand in the tank..... I am glad I yanked the one I had at only a foot long!

http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

jorjef
08-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I still say if there is alien life on this plant it's in the oceans... There is just too many weird and freakie creatures fish and corals.... Maybe you have a Kazoo crab in there!!! Ya know the guy from the Flintstones with super strength!! I wouldn't retreive them, he could get peaved and leave the tank tonight looking for you lol

JonT
08-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I still say if there is alien life on this plant it's in the oceans... There is just too many weird and freakie creatures fish and corals.... Maybe you have a Kazoo crab in there!!! Ya know the guy from the Flintstones with super strength!! I wouldn't retreive them, he could get peaved and leave the tank tonight looking for you lol

Thanks, now I have an uncontrollable urge to go call someone "dumb-dumb"

paddyob
08-12-2010, 08:18 PM
I have heard of bigger worms doing this... but crabs might too.

Trabby
08-12-2010, 08:33 PM
If it is indeed just a crab that feels the need to move stuff around I MAY be ok with it..... If it's a pistol shrimp would I not see a burrow of sorts?

Sounds like the work of a.....CRAB ! (or possibly a shrimp (pistol or bulldozer).

Trabby
08-12-2010, 08:36 PM
OMG!!!! Thanks for that JonT.... That is indeed a monster!! How did you find and catch yours?? Better not be what I got going on or.... YOU may have to come catch it for me :o

Could be a worm....

Reading this link may make you think twice about sticking your hand in the tank..... I am glad I yanked the one I had at only a foot long!

http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

Trabby
08-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Could this be a mantis??? Regardless of what it is I know for certain it is not the work of either my chromis or clowns... Should I set up a bottle trap in the area this evening? I just want to know what it is.... I'm creeped out!!

Zoaelite
08-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I would lean towards a pistol shrimp, I used to own one of the regular big guys that I named Jamal, he actually ate his shrimp partner :neutral:. He would rearrange everything and would aggressively attack me when I went to reaquascape the tank.

Any random clicking coming from the tank Chelsea?

Madreefer
08-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Instead of a bottle trap try a tall drinking glass with a chunk of food (uncooked shrimp) in the bottom of it at lights out. Put it at an angle so that nothing can crawl out of it. Works for crabs, worms well :noidea:

Trabby
08-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Jamal?! Roflmao ughhh .. I haven't heard any clicking... But I will certainly be listening. What could I do to determine if that is indeed what it is? Did you buy your or did he hitch a ride in?

I would lean towards a pistol shrimp, I used to own one of the regular big guys that I named Jamal, he actually ate his shrimp partner :neutral:. He would rearrange everything and would aggressively attack me when I went to reaquascape the tank.

Any random clicking coming from the tank Chelsea?

mytank90
08-12-2010, 10:31 PM
try useing a red light to look in your tank after all the lights go off .it doesnt bother your fish any you will be surprised at what you will see:lol:i used a brake light from my bike and over about a week looking at different times found 3 crabs that where moveing stuff around

JonT
08-12-2010, 10:55 PM
OMG!!!! Thanks for that JonT.... That is indeed a monster!! How did you find and catch yours?? Better not be what I got going on or.... YOU may have to come catch it for me :o

Been a while since I have been on Alberta soil, if your paying the airfare, I will come! LOL

I got lucky, the lights on my tank go out 30 min before I get ready for bed. Wife beat me to the washroom one night, so, I watched the night life in the tank. Then there it was. Still partly under the rock, but stretched out about 18 inches or so. I have a pair of 20" tweezers :) grabbed on tight enough to hold him. Then had to decide, break it, or try my luck and gently pull it out.

Attached is what happens when you touch one....

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e328/Jammor/125%20gallon%20tank/Oops2.jpg

kevNnic
08-13-2010, 03:53 PM
bristle worm of death? glad you got it. things like that creep me out!

Wingin It
08-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Should I set up a bottle trap in the area this evening?!

I would! LOL Creepy is right!

Trabby
08-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Well there's been a few developments over the last couple days.... Two separate attempts to bait monster turned up nothing but stranded hermit crabs.....
So then the other night... I'm on the phone.. Gazing into the tank ... And mention the menace in the tank.... No sooner did I say it... I'm having a fit because there is this HUGE crab running along the back wall with a piece of rubble.. He took cover under zoa mountain ....Aka the scene of the crime
Then again yesterday while visiting with a fellow reefer ... I bring up this crab, well low and behold two minutes later he spots the damn thing... Running with a chunk of rubble... Grrrrrr..... Bad crab..... That's where my small frag of zombie eyes gas gone .... Grrr

So aside from ripping everything apart ... I don't know how to catch him....
Any ideas? Maybe I'm not patient enough...

Oh a little more on this freak..... I looked on chucksaddiction....
Possibly Xanthid, or mithrax ... Quarter / loonie size... Still need a closer look...

Lance
08-20-2010, 06:01 PM
All crabs are bad. KILL IT!!! If you can't capture it, try a long skewer, (like those kind you use to truss up a turkey) to spear it. Good Luck.

JonT
08-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Since you know where its lair is, just bait it. Or, be ready, and drop a net in front of it next time it is out shopping for new rocks in your tank. If it is running the back glass, you should be able to set something up during the day.