PDA

View Full Version : PROTEIN SKIMMER w 530GPH PUMP POWERHEAD

Vinage
08-11-2010, 06:40 PM
i seem to find this skimmer everywhere online and its cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-TANK-PROTEIN-SKIMMER-FILTER-W-POWER-HEAD-PUMP-/160467020901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

does anyone know if this thing actually works? and what would be the max gallon it would work on?

Madreefer
08-11-2010, 07:37 PM
$39.95+ tax
$19.99 to ship to Canada

It says good for tanks up to 150G. I call bull***t on that.
It's really cheap but you get what you pay for.
Much better off putting out the extra $40 to buy a much better used skimmer for $100.

gobytron
08-11-2010, 07:53 PM
have you used one madreefer?

You get what you pay for is what alot of people said about Bubble Magus when they first appeared on ebay...

Madreefer
08-11-2010, 08:25 PM
have you used one madreefer?

You get what you pay for is what alot of people said about Bubble Magus when they first appeared on ebay...

No I have not. But if it's good enough for up to 150g I guess that's a great buy. I'm sure you wont be wasting your money. Maybe a Seaclone would be a good buy as well, they are also rated for up to 150g

gobytron
08-12-2010, 02:16 PM
No I have not. But if it's good enough for up to 150g I guess that's a great buy. I'm sure you wont be wasting your money. Maybe a Seaclone would be a good buy as well, they are also rated for up to 150g

except that many people have used and reviewed sea clones and we know from user experience that they are inefficient.

writing a piece of equipment off just because it's cheap is somewhat ignorant IMO.
and again. as a recent example we all saw alot of that same ignorance when Bubble Magus' first came out and now that they are widely accepted as a decent piece of equipment they sell for significantly more.

for 60$, it might be worth a try and a review for everyone else here...

JonT
08-12-2010, 02:38 PM
except that many people have used and reviewed sea clones and we know from user experience that they are inefficient.

writing a piece of equipment off just because it's cheap is somewhat ignorant IMO.
and again. as a recent example we all saw alot of that same ignorance when Bubble Magus' first came out and now that they are widely accepted as a decent piece of equipment they sell for significantly more.

for 60$, it might be worth a try and a review for everyone else here...

Big difference being that the Magus, and other lower costing units were copies of the high end skimmers that had big $$ spent on R&D. This thing looks more like a seaclone than a high end skimmer.

When the magus was used, it did preform similar to the high ends, I am going to wager my money this will preform similar to equal units like the seaclone.

I would have to agree with a comment above. Save a bit more, and get a better, and known unit.

Side note, that seller is selling lots of items that are lower priced knock offs. I am sure that they don't use the materials that the brand named versions do, and thus you could be risking your tanks health.

fkshiu
08-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Big difference being that the Magus, and other lower costing units were copies of the high end skimmers that had big $$ spent on R&D. This thing looks more like a seaclone than a high end skimmer.

When the magus was used, it did preform similar to the high ends, I am going to wager my money this will preform similar to equal units like the seaclone.

I would have to agree with a comment above. Save a bit more, and get a better, and known unit.

Side note, that seller is selling lots of items that are lower priced knock offs. I am sure that they don't use the materials that the brand named versions do, and thus you could be risking your tanks health.
This is correct. If you're going to knock something off, knock off a high quality product like Bubble Magus did.

A skimmer's performance is primarily influenced by two factors: 1) It's ability to mix air with water and 2) The size and shape of the reaction chamber where said air/water is mixed.

Powerheads (like maxijet knockoff used on the skimmer in question) are known to do a poor job of drawing air for skimming as compared to centrifugal pumps. Lower end HOB skimmers like the Seaclone, CPR and AquaC Remora all rely on powerheads. With less air draw, you get less skimming. Notice that the specs of this skimmer doesn't include any air draw numbers. There is no way that the same puny powerhead will miraculously perform better on this skimmer than other poorly performing skimmers.

The reaction chamber of this skimmer is absolutely puny according to the measurements provided. There's simply no time for the air and water to mix. Note how on much larger the reaction chamber is on high-end skimmers. The Deltec MCE600, which is the current gold standard for HOB skimmers, works so well because water is in contact with the injected air for nearly the entire path that the water travels through the skimmer body.

There is no way this skimmer can properly skim anything close to 150 gallons. You get what you pay for.

gobytron
08-13-2010, 01:53 PM
while likely not a diamond in the rough, without a user review, writing if off as "you get what you pay for" is still ignorant.

just my opinion.

Seamazter
08-13-2010, 02:24 PM
See they sell many good quality items as seen below.
So you wont get ripped off with any junk, that some guy is trying to sell on ebay, im sure everything here is a good quality.
(some sarcasm)
Seriously just spend more money now, in 2 weeks your going to spend more to get a good working one, why waste some of it today?
Buy something good at 1st then you wont need to replace it.

* Tools & Hardware
* Pop Up Tents
* Guitars
* Surf Boards
* Skim Boards
* RC Boats
* Patio Umbrella
* Fitness Equipment
* Hammocks
* Swimming Pool Equip & Toys
* Bath & Lavatory Faucets
* Kitchen & Bar Faucets
* Shower & Tub Faucets
* Glass Vessel Sinks
* Portable Saunas
* Ice Shaving Machines
* Kitchen Products
* Home Security
* Health & Beauty
* Acoustic Guitars
* Electric Acoustic Guitars
* Electric Guitars
* Electric Kids Guitars
* Electric Acoustic Bass Guitars
* Remote Control Series
* Mailboxes
* Pop Up Drains
* Other Bath & Kitchen
* Other Outdoor & Garden
* Massage Tables

See all categories...

fkshiu
08-14-2010, 12:39 AM
while likely not a diamond in the rough, without a user review, writing if off as "you get what you pay for" is still ignorant.

just my opinion.

I don't need to smell a turd to tell you that it stinks.