PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix 14K or Ushio 14K???

viperfish
08-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Time for a couple of new 250w MH bulbs, I'm looking for a good balance between growth and colour. I am currently running 250w AB 10K bulbs with actinic supplementation. Both the Pheonix and Ushio bulbs are very close in price and I have used Phoenix in the past with good results but I have never tried the Ushio. Some feedback would be great.

ScubaSteve
08-11-2010, 06:47 PM
I went through the same debate a while back (for my 150W) and ultimately stayed with the Pheonix 14K. There are some differences between the 150W and 250W bulbs, so take my input with a grain of salt.

The Ushio 14K definitely has more punch to it, tends to be a bit brighter and I would say is 'truer' to what natural sunlight looks like. I remember that the Ushio's give a slightly higher PAR (I remember reading somewhere that it is about 15% higher than the Pheonix bulbs) and consequently give slightly better growth. All that being said, much of those traits stem from the fact that they are very 'yellow' looking. I found the Ushio 14K to be yellower than my Coralife 10K it was replacing! I didn't keep them long enough to really comment on how well things grow under them but I would say for growth (based on PAR) and the look of a very shallow reef, use the Ushio's.

When I switched to the Pheonix, the colours absolutely 'popped'! Initially it almost looked surreal but as the lamp burned in a bit more (or my eyes burned in... either way...) it really started to impress me. Pinks looked PINK (where as they looked brown/yellow-ish under the Ushio) and greens went absolutley electric. I have had great growth with the Pheonix (way better than my ancient Coralife 10K) and people are blown away by the colours when they see the tank.

Obviously, I am a Pheonix fan over the Ushio but like I said, I'm using the 150W and there are some differences between the bulbs in that respect. I would also recommend the Ushio 20K; a friend of mine had this one and it looked quite stellar (quite similar to the Pheonix in terms of colour). I suggest getting science-y and popping over to Sanjay Josji's website (http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting). This guy really nerds it up when it comes to lighting and there is a lot of info on there to poke through.

Happy reefin'!

gobytron
08-11-2010, 07:54 PM
dd you at least use the ushios long enough to burn/break them in?

fencer
08-11-2010, 08:30 PM
simplycoral had some ushio for sale

Lance
08-11-2010, 10:49 PM
I've used both. (250W HQI) Both are good bulbs, although I slightly prefer the Phoenix over the Usio.

Sebae again
08-12-2010, 12:47 AM
I had Phoenix tried Ushio for 3 months and then went back to Phoenix because of colour. To me the Ushios look closer to 10k than 14k.

xtreme
08-12-2010, 12:59 AM
The phoenix have a much bluer look to them. I switched over from ushio a few weeks ago and so far very happy with the phoenix and I think I will be sticking with them. They are closer in color to a 20k ushio but supposedly (haven't got out the PAR meter yet) have the output of a 14k.

viperfish
08-12-2010, 01:44 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

ElGuappo
08-12-2010, 08:22 AM
the only lights i have on my tank are 2 x 250 w and i am runing the pheonix hexarcs and they are wuit bue and i am getting decent growth thus far.. tank is just starting up but i have aready noticed an increase in growth..

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Love my Phoenix and Aquaconnect 14000k bulbs.