PDA

View Full Version : Enamel spray paint fish safe?

nanmer
08-11-2010, 05:13 PM
I have been doing a ton of research as to how safe enamel spray paint is for fish. I have some DIY cichlid rocks and would like to paint them black.

Some say it is safe if covered in silicone. Some say it is safe as it is, as long as it does not flake off.

I have used it on a couple of spots in my pond, for the waterfall feature as was recomended by some pond people. After 4 years, it is the same condition as the day I sprayed it. I would like to use it inside my aquarium but I can't find any definite answers. I don't mind loosing one or two 69 cent goldies but cichlids are quite a bit more expensive! I have never lost a goldfish in my pond to illness, accidents ... on occasion.

Thanks!

originalozzyo
08-16-2010, 04:49 AM
Don't quote me on this but there are epoxy paints that you can tint to whatever color you choose. Some are fish safe but you would have to ask the supplier

fkshiu
08-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Krylon Fusion is used by numerous reefers safely on PVC pipe. Not sure about DIY rocks, but what is the point? They won't stay black for very long as various algae and biofilm will so completely cover everything.

gobytron
08-16-2010, 02:26 PM
you're likely better off to just wait until they are covered with coralline naturally than spray paint them...

though in theory I don't know why it wouldn't work if thats your m.o...