PDA

View Full Version : RO unit

StirCrazy
11-22-2003, 05:42 AM
Well I finaly built my own RO to my specifications. I had a few problems to overcome as I onlu had 40PSI water pressure at the new house.

what I ended up making was a dual 160GPD membrain unit with a variable density whole home prefilter (starts at 25 microns and ends up at 1) dual carbon block and DI for a final polish.

here is the prefilter, it is the same hight as a normal filter but has a diamiter of 4" instead of 1.5"
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/ro/prefilter.jpg

here is the main unit
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/ro/rounit.jpg

and this is the pump I ended up having to get to power a 320 GPD setup to 100PSI
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/ro/newpump.jpg

I am only running it at 85PSI right now and my output is 220GPD with realy cold water.

Steve

kris
11-22-2003, 06:04 AM
That looks great Steve, good job :biggrin: i will need to chat up RODI units with you soon!

Chin_Lee
11-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Whats it that unit in that last picture? Looks like a furnace fan motor attached to something. Can you please explain what it is because I'm looking to set something like that up myself.

StirCrazy
11-23-2003, 02:46 AM
Whats it that unit in that last picture? Looks like a furnace fan motor attached to something. Can you please explain what it is because I'm looking to set something like that up myself.

that is a 1/3 HP motor powering a high volume/pressure ceramic pump with a internal relife. first measure your water pressue and decide on the flow you want and you most likely won't need a pump this big.

Steve

Skimmerking
11-23-2003, 03:36 AM
you must be bored STEVE you cease to amaze me ''''' :cool:

Canadian Man
11-23-2003, 04:26 AM
How much and where did you get the pump?

StirCrazy
11-23-2003, 05:20 AM
How much and where did you get the pump?

you don't want to know :wink: seriously, new this pump set up goes for almost 700.00 (retail)I got it a fair bit cheeper than that though. (it was used and I cut a deal.) The pump is actualy off a comercial unit that was assembled to fill a fish tank in the toronto airport last month. that was a 500 gal per day set up which I could probably get you a real good deal on :mrgreen:

I do know that I was able to spiked my old 100 GPD membrain at over 300 PSI :mrgreen: when I was getting a ball park setting, I wanted to do it on the old ones so I didn't take a chance of destroying my new ones hehe.

for most people aquatec makes some good pumps that will run 100GPD membrains no problem and they can be had for 200.00ish, I had to go with the binford cuz the aquatec pumps wern't big enuf to run 320 GPD membrains at 100 PSI.

Steve

Delphinus
11-23-2003, 11:54 PM
I had to go with the binford

LOL

Seriously what is the pump and the specs? Post some info when you get a chance (even if it is a $700 pump or whatever) .... kinda curious

props
11-24-2003, 07:21 AM
nice setup there steve

how much is the ratio of the waste water?

StirCrazy
11-24-2003, 12:32 PM
nice setup there steve

how much is the ratio of the waste water?

it works out to be about 2 to 1 but that is because of the configuration of the membrains, each membrain sees a 4 to 1 ratio.

Tony I will get the info when I get back for ya.

Steve