PDA

View Full Version : Silicone

discusfever
11-22-2003, 12:22 AM
Does anyone know what silicone to buy when you want to do some fish tank repair... not crucial.. not for leaks but for just repairing the silicone if its torn?

I don't want to buy the ones by hagen and all glass cause it is obviously overprised.... so I was wondering if anyone knew which GE silicone works... or anyother silicones sold at home depot or home hardware?

Mak
11-22-2003, 12:32 AM
CanadianTire has some Silicone, it's made by Mastercraft, just make sure it's the one that is "Ideal for aquarium repair" and get the clear kind.

Quinn
11-22-2003, 12:59 AM
GE 1200 is dandy. Purple and white tube. Windows and doors, not bathroom and tile.

Aquattro
11-22-2003, 01:09 AM
Any silicone that is 100% silicone WITHOUT mildew inhibitors will be fine.

discusfever
11-22-2003, 02:32 AM
Thanks guys..

I have one from GE .. for an all purpose one ... and its the strongest one they have .. though it says.. not for aquariums ... doh! ..

So I ll check out the ones that say its ok for the aqauarium!..

Quinn
11-22-2003, 02:54 AM
Apparently Southdown/Old Castle sand bags say "not for aquarium use" as well...

Aquattro
11-22-2003, 02:59 AM
Thanks guys..

I have one from GE .. for an all purpose one ... and its the strongest one they have .. though it says.. not for aquariums ... doh! ..

That's the one I used for my sump baffles. It's fine.

Canadian Man
11-22-2003, 03:57 AM
If your just repairing the silicone that's not in between the glass then you will only be doing it for aesthetic reasons. The structural part of the silicone is whats in between the two glass pieces.

Anyway I use the GE silicone for window's and doors and have used it for along time. It says not for use in fishtanks on the current product but it never used to say that and it's the same product.

cheers

discusfever
11-22-2003, 09:29 AM
If your just repairing the silicone that's not in between the glass then you will only be doing it for aesthetic reasons. The structural part of the silicone is whats in between the two glass pieces.

Yup .. only doin the touch up job... so I guess the all purpose one I have is good enough! ... Thanks guys... was just being over paranoid... cuz its a 115gal tank.. [/quote]

Chin_Lee
11-22-2003, 08:23 PM
What do you guys use to structuraly glue the glass together (like in between the glass)?

Aquattro
11-22-2003, 09:56 PM
To build a tank, I'd use the GE 1200 mentioned above.