PDA

View Full Version : Majano/Aptasia Zapper

Madreefer
08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm sure people have been reading up on these. If someone has made one can you please put up a detailed design on them. Pretty simple minded when it comes to electricity and water. Better yet if you have made one I will buy it off of you. I'm sure you will have a waiting list.

Skimmerking
08-09-2010, 06:45 PM
WOw I just use KALK Paste and it kills them

Madreefer
08-09-2010, 06:54 PM
WOw I just use KALK Paste and it kills them

I use that as well, they just come back. Looking for something thats not so messy and I hate looking at the bright white spots after applying it. I think i'm doing it thick enough it seems to plug up in my syringe all of the time. But when I turn on my pumps and PH's afterwards there is a huge "kalk snowstorm" that makes me a little nervous.

TheKid
08-09-2010, 07:13 PM
I guess something Like that might work if shock the aptadia out of water and I could probably make one out of a bug zapper or used disposable camera

Zoaelite
08-09-2010, 10:44 PM
I guess something Like that might work if shock the aptadia out of water and I could probably make one out of a bug zapper or used disposable camera

Actually the zapping happens in the tank, you place your anode/ cathode on direct opposite sides of the Aiptasia and then hit the shock button for a second or two. It works well but I have no ambitions to hook the car battery up any time soon :lol:.

The proper spelling of the word everyone has butchered is "Aiptasia".
The letter "D" doesn't belong.

jorjef
08-09-2010, 10:54 PM
HEY!! you better be using a GFCI or you will end up either dead or unconscious in your now flaming house with your fish laughing their fins off...until they realize the house is on fire!!! AND the "apatasha" will survive the whole ordeal to live another day...

FYI just kidding....

whatcaneyedo
08-10-2010, 12:55 AM
This is the original RC thread titled Electrocuting Mojanos
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1808040&highlight=electrocute+mojano
Unfortunately it looks like he deleted most of his pictures from his photobucket account...

Madreefer
08-10-2010, 09:56 AM
This is the original RC thread titled Electrocuting Mojanos
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1808040&highlight=electrocute+mojano
Unfortunately it looks like he deleted most of his pictures from his photobucket account...

Doug built one. I'll give him a call on the weekend and ask him about it.

Seamazter
08-10-2010, 03:08 PM
I just want to point out to anyone trying this.
Is we all know Aiptasia propagate with spores they spray or a small tentacle that has broken off and left to float around.

This sure looks like it kills the Aiptasia but even a small piece left floating around will produce another one, and if the Aiptasia can release spores it will create many many more in the long run.

Madreefer
08-16-2010, 03:02 AM
So after going over to a fellow reefers house and looking at his Majano/Aptasia Zapper I decided to build one. Just used it quickly to see how it works. I'm really impressed with it. It turns majanos in to complete mush and I was able to grab the ball of mush and remove it. It took about a minute to do this to a very large majano that was'nt able to reach with my syringe full of kalk paste.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/Zapper001.jpg

I had the charger for a broken cordless drill laying around. Only thing I forgot to put in pics is a carpenters pencil and the 1/8" R/O hoseing. And of course black tape and zip ties. I was able to get all of that for under $20. You want your charger to be 500mA to give them a good kick.

After cutting the stainless steal wire and coating each wire seperately 2 times with heat sink I pushed each of them through the 1/8" hoseing and zip tied them together so that one wire is about 2" longer than the other. I than split the carpenters pencil and took a peice of the carbon from it and wrapped the shorter wire around it.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/Zapper003.jpg

I than took one of the wires and bent it and put it iside of the plug for the charger/transformer. The other wire was wrapped around the alligator clip of the Remote Starter Switch. The other alligator clip than claps around the plug. But don't tape yet as you need to check later for the right wire configuration.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/Zapper002.jpg

Finished Product.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/Zapper004.jpg

Now for the testing before taping. You probably don't have to do this if you know about electricity. I Don't. Put it in the tank and hold the button on the Remote Starter Switch. You want to see bigger bubbles coming off of the longer wire. To kill the undesired you just touch it with the exposed wire and press the button for a few seconds. The bigger majanos are going to take longer of course. It seems to be working for me and we'll see if they come back. Sure beats messy kalk paste.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/Zapper005.jpg

Madreefer
08-18-2010, 08:39 PM
So I have some mushrooms that I don't like that take over some of my zoos. I have been injecting them with kalk paste and they keep coming back. I decided to nuke them using this zapper thing. It takes a little bit but it does work. I was told that rather than electocuting stuff, this gadget actually acidifies them, thats what the bubbles are apparently from.

Before-Sun. aug 15

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/Zapper007.jpg

After-Wed. aug 18 Did'nt do all of them for fear of something going wrong. Will do the rest now that I see no ill effects.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/Zapper010.jpg

michika
08-19-2010, 02:11 PM
I want to build one of these now, very badly. Where did you source your parts from?

Madreefer
08-19-2010, 02:58 PM
I want to build one of these now, very badly. Where did you source your parts from?

I picked up everything from Princess Auto. For the transformer I used a charger plug in, used for a cordless drill. You can pretty much use any kind of charger. I looked for one that puts out 500mA. Most of the other ones I have are 200mA and they will work as well but not as much kick to it and will just take a little longer.

michika
08-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I think I'm going to make this one of my projects. I love the idea and I have some test subjects, a lot of subjects actually, that I'd like to use.

Madreefer
08-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I think I'm going to make this one of my projects. I love the idea and I have some test subjects, a lot of subjects actually, that I'd like to use.

I think it's pretty cool. It enables you to get some hard to reach spots that you can't get with messy kalk paste. Also it only works while the button is pressed so if you touch the probe on anything else it's no big deal.

michika
08-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm going to try it, probably buy the parts tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

ColinD
08-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Just built one, have been zapping all the anthelia, seems to be working.

Colin

Lego
08-27-2010, 08:55 PM
nice DIY

Skimmerking
08-27-2010, 09:52 PM
those so called mushrooms looks alot like green polyps

torrid_07
08-28-2010, 03:29 AM
hey i was wondering as to where you plugged the aligator clip into the charger?
i have a cellphone charger that is 500ma and im wondering if i can use this.
will this harm my other tank mates? my fish arent going to start swimming upside down RIGHT!
and what is the purpose of the carbon from the pencil?
and what was the purpose of the shrink wrap?
i think i want to try this i just was curious about these few things.
thanks in advance. jeff

Madreefer
08-28-2010, 06:13 AM
will this harm my other tank mates? my fish arent going to start swimming upside down RIGHT!
thanks in advance. jeff

The alligator clip clamps around the outer part of the plug. I taped it on. The other peice of wire I folded in half and put it in the inner part of the plug. The carbon being there. Well I'm no too sure. Sorry don't know the chemistry of it all. So really this thing is not electrocuting them but kind of acidifying them. Someone knowledgeable in chemistry can explain it. I used heat shrink to keep the two wires from touching each other. If they touch you will fry your power source.

Madreefer
08-28-2010, 06:15 AM
those so called mushrooms looks alot like green polyps

I think your right. I don't like really them and they over take my green zoos.

ColinD
08-28-2010, 02:39 PM
thanks in advance. jeff

Check out the original thread on RC (linked back on page one) discussion is still on going with lots of info.

Colin