PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Macro Algae

ElGuappo
08-09-2010, 07:20 AM
looking for types of macro for a refuge... i already have some cheato and would like to stay away for types that release spores such as grape caulerpa.
and i would like to stay away from ones that steal calcium... thats not too much too ask for is it? i have been triing to read up on them a little buts hard to find detailed info on macro.. every once in a while i will notice a "chain store" has various types of macro and just dont know what kinds are good for a small 7G planted refuge.. it will house small invers and maybe a fish so i dont want anything thats going to get out of control to quick..

Any thoughts or links???

Thanks

Seamazter
08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
http://www.thereefshoppe.ca/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_93
try sealettuce and shaving brush, mermaid fan too.

RCFA
08-09-2010, 05:07 PM
I think Mermaid fan and shaving brush are both calcifying algaes.

I have some caulerpa prolifera if you want to try it. It has never released spores on me, but no guarantees.

ElGuappo
08-09-2010, 07:33 PM
ya so far the only thing ive seen that may be what i am looking for is maidens hair, but i will look into those mentioned

Thanks..

ElGuappo
08-09-2010, 07:54 PM
the mermaid fan is calcareous but i coudnt find anything that says shaving brush is...and i have found a few different types of shaving brush online.

RCFA
08-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Quoted on the Reef shop website:

DESCRIPTION:
Shaving Brush Plant (Penicillus capitus) grow in sandy substrates via rhizoidal "root balls". Its elongated stalk and green grass-like upward branches make a nice contrast against other natural decorations and corals in the home aquarium. Like the Halimeda Plant and like Coralline Algae, the Shaving Brush incorporates a hard Calcium Carbonate skeleton within its living tissue. This Caribbean-Atlantic native is functional in that it helps in the removal of organic nutrients because it consumes many waste by-products in the aquarium. This easy-care marine plant does well in a variety of conditions. Medium light and water-levels should suit it fine. Calcium and iron are beneficial in overall health and growth. Individual specimens are 3 - 4 inches.

RCFA
08-09-2010, 11:03 PM
I would suggest some of the brown or red algae. Halymenia and certain sargassums are sometimes available locally.

Check out http://live-plants.com/ for some options. Unfortunately they don't ship to Canada, but it will give you an idea what's available.