PDA

View Full Version : New Tank....New to Hobby...new to some challenges

Bearlaw
08-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Hi All,

So....I have a 40 gallon bow front tank. I have all the live rock, sand etc... my tank has recently completed it's first cycle.

I have:

8 snails
7 hermit crabs
1 green emerald crab
1 scooter blenny
2 clowns.

And it would seem none of these guys consume green hair algae....any suggestions:question:question:

BlueTang<3
08-08-2010, 10:31 PM
For green hair algae try mexican turbo snails. Blue world or Marine Aquaria had a few last time i was in.

fishytime
08-08-2010, 10:57 PM
first off welcome to canreef!:biggrin:.....as Wes said mexican turbo snails do a bang up job or if you have enough HA you could try a seahare......I must warn you....you will be harassed for pics:mrgreen:

reefwars
08-08-2010, 11:54 PM
I love my mexican turbos, I just traget them to areas I want gone they do a bangup job , they've gotten stuck in small areas a few times as mine are quite large lol mines got HA growing on it's shell must be what keeps him going kinda like a donkey with a carrot on a string in his face lol :)

Lance
08-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Welcome to Canreef! :biggrin:
Hair algae is common in new tanks. :sad: Keeping your water's parameters in check along with manual removal will help. Snails, LM Blennies etc. do a good job as well, but after the HA is gone you have to find something for them to eat.

Bearlaw
08-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi Folks,
Thanks for the warm welcome. One more small question...will the turbo take the hair algae off the substrate? I used live sand....

Thanks again!

Murminator
08-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Hi All,

So....I have a 40 gallon bow front tank. I have all the live rock, sand etc... my tank has recently completed it's first cycle.

I have:

8 snails
7 hermit crabs
1 green emerald crab
1 scooter blenny
2 clowns.

And it would seem none of these guys consume green hair algae....any suggestions:question:question:

Did you just buy the tank from Big Als last week?

reefwars
08-09-2010, 04:19 PM
While your tank is cycling it will develop algae at differnt times most will go away with time it can take up to a year or so for a tank to stabilize in the mean time just keep good maintanance, Mexican turbos I don't think do sand I know mine don't maybe you need some more flow in areas where algae is building. Give your tank time and don't pick at it to mch let it stabilize on it's own in itsown time

Bearlaw
08-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi Murm,

Nope - didn't buy it at big al's. Had the tank for almost 3 months now.

On another note...just noticed this morning some of my base rock is starting to turn purple :lol:. Thats "Coraline Algae" correct? This thing is finally starting to take off!

DiverDude
08-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Trying to cure HA with livestock is like taking aspirin when you have cancer -it may make you feel a bit better but it's doing nothing to cure the underlying problem.

HA is caused by excess nutrients in the water and light. Remove either of those and it will die. Since other things in your tank need light, you're best to remove the excess nutrients

The good news is that in a new setup it's normal to have less than ideal water parameters. Use good water (RO or Ro/DI) and do regular water changes and learn to test your parameters regularly. It'll take a while but it will go away eventually.

I had bad HA when I started and it vanished. Recently, it's back so it means I slipped somewhere.

Manually removing as much as you can will certainly help (it'll make you feel better too !). Putting a Sea Hare in there temporarily (they will starve and die when the HA is gone) will also help. Some LFS rent them so ask around.

Murminator
08-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Murm,

Nope - didn't buy it at big al's. Had the tank for almost 3 months now.

On another note...just noticed this morning some of my base rock is starting to turn purple :lol:. Thats "Coraline Algae" correct? This thing is finally starting to take off!

Ok good....seen a guy in there last week buying a bow front, rock sand and wanted to buy fish and coral for when he got home to set it up :sad:

kevNnic
08-09-2010, 07:41 PM
i had nasty hair algea for the first 3 weeks, picked up 8 turbo snails and an emerald crab and its all gone, now my coral beauty has nothing to pick at. Haven't had an out break in the past 2 months. Once you get your levels all in check it should work its way out of your system.

kevNnic
08-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Ok good....seen a guy in there last week buying a bow front, rock sand and wanted to buy fish and coral for when he got home to set it up :sad:

some people just dont know what they are getting into. I know first hand. but was very patient with everything, only had rocks and water for the first 3 months. Everything is now going great!

I would just hope the LFS would tell them no.