PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with humidity

blacknife
08-08-2010, 08:07 PM
back in january i upgraded to a tank with a sump and moved the tank to the basement. since then my basement has started to smell a little off and the wife always says it feels muggy down there. currently Open top 40b with a 40g sump and a 5g cheato tank. all wedged together near each other, the sump sits behind the stand because its to big to fit in the stand. I also usually have a 33g with fresh/salt water being cleaned with carbon/phosban beside it<no ro unit yet>. it is in the main room of the basement, there is only one small room in the basement that is walled in.

any ideas on reducing the humidity to see if that helps the smell and muggy feeling? the cheaper the better but if it makes the wife happy the $$ might have to be spent.

I would like to upgrade to a bigger tank on a proper sealed in stand at some point but that is not happening soon.

reefwars
08-08-2010, 08:50 PM
maybe a lid would help cut down on humidity if temps arent a problem for you or maybe a second hand dehumidifier from kijiji?? i had the same problems with my 180 and my exposed sump i was having cooling problems so an airconditoner/humidifier and a ceiling fan worked great for me no more humidity:)

xblade
08-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Try covering your tank and sump if possable.Much less evaporation that way.If your using the right equipment,Oxygenation shouldn't be a problem.

BlueTang<3
08-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Running about 500 gallons in my basement all opened have about 5 gallons of evaporation a day running a dehumidifier all the time humidity is around 40%

reefermadness
08-08-2010, 09:55 PM
dehumidifier.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Added glass tops on all my tanks except the 210g reef & the difference in humidity/condensation is HUGE!!!! Keeping the glass clean is a PITA but not having to constantly topup like I was before is worth it. Also less humidity = less problems regarding possible mold.

mark
08-08-2010, 10:18 PM
install a small (quiet) bathroom type fan to exhaust the air humid outside. Can even put the fan on a dehumidistat.

blacknife
08-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Dehumidifier seems to be the way to go.. and any other methods to control.

just have to find the right one either used or on sale.

sections of the sump could be closed in but if its not total then i think lots of evap would still happen. The Girls FW tank is totally closed and i need to add a gallon or 2/ week to it.

I think the exaust fan from the sump will be used when i rebuild the stand or on a future larger build.

thanks for the help I don't know why i could not think of a dehumidifier myself.. probably the 1->400$ price tag any time i have walked past them in the stores :)

reefermadness
08-09-2010, 04:18 AM
install a small (quiet) bathroom type fan to exhaust the air humid outside. Can even put the fan on a dehumidistat.

Works well in the winter months but here in South West Ontario it is very humid in the sumer months. Exhausting air outside means you are bringing humid air back in from outside.....which is kinda working against the final goal. Most people here need to run dehumidifiers in the basement even if they don't have an aquarium.

Personally I have talked about humidity with the HVAC guy who installed our furnace/AC and HRV. He recommended using a dehumidifer in the summer months (when it is humid outside as well), and the HRV in the winter months (when the air is dry outside).

Parker
08-09-2010, 03:36 PM
I have a bathroom fan attached to a humidistat. I also have a new furnace that has a DC motor on it, I run the furnace fan 24/7 on low to move air around the house and my humity is never above 40/45.

I have about 400 gallons total water volume in the basement with the tank, sump and saltwater / RODI storage.