PDA

View Full Version : quick plumbing question

apexifd
08-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I know that I can probably find the answer to this somewhere online, but sometimes it's just easier to ask people who knows.

I am attempting my first ever plumbing job. set up is a 75gallon RR with 1.5" pre drill holes. and a 33 gal sump. I have 3/4" pvc and a few elbows.

my questions are:

1: will 3/4" pvc too small and restricted too much of flow?

2: should I installed a gate valve or two?

3: union for easy removals later??

thanks

Peter Yu

Spiny
08-08-2010, 01:16 PM
1: it will only be too small if your return pump is too strong.
2: You should install gate valves only where you need them. Personally I went with ball valves instead, less expensive and they do what I need them to. Very useful to throtle back your return pump.
3: Once again, $$$. If you can use them, by all means do so and you'll save yourself headaches down the road, but unions are nearly 10$ each, so it adds up pretty fast. If I were to do over, I'd use slip fittings everywhere except for a union right at the bulkhead to make for easy disconnect.

apexifd
08-08-2010, 01:35 PM
I have a Sedra 5000 and I believe it will move 400gph @ 5'.

plutoniumJoe
08-08-2010, 02:23 PM
3/4 should be fine for that flow.

I would use a gate valve if you are using a Herbie style overflow.

-Joe

Milad
08-08-2010, 05:54 PM
if you got two pre drilled holes, use a gate valve, big difference over a ball valve while trying to tune it. Its very had to tune with a ball valve because its not as "incremental" as a gate valve.

if you have 3 pre drilled holes setup as a herbie with a durso (beanimal style) then you can use ball valve because it will autotune itself.

always use unions, it makes tweaking so much easier and its more pro. But only use them where you think you need them. I have one right after my 90s from the holes so if i ever needed to remove the gate valves or ball valves i can easy. I also have two on my return line and ive taken that one apart a few times now.

for your return, you could use a gate valve but a ball valve works as good. You dont need to be super prercise on the return.