PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Coral... dead or not?

jorjef
08-07-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't have a picture so will describe the best I can. No hand/soft tissue of the coral have been seen for some time. The skeleton in still a nice color of red that fades into flesh tone as it gets to the end of the hard tube. The tank, believe it or not is at 92 degrees (not mine the LFS where this coral is) and was wondering if his was the reason nothing has emerged from the tubes. They are asking $20.00 but I don;t want to throw $20.00 into the garbage in a week.... Anyone have an idea if with the proper color on te skeleton it has a chance of either being alive or coming back..

reefwars
08-07-2010, 07:13 PM
92 degrees wow i cant imagine hes gonna last to long, im sure if you post a want ad someone here would sell you one for cheap:) theres a reason its $20...:)

Myka
08-07-2010, 07:14 PM
I would pass. Pipe Organ corals are really sensitive until they are established in which case they seem to be bulletproof, and ship poorly. Wait it out for a good specimen. Btw, not many corals will survive 92 degree water when exposed for any length of time.

If you come to Saskatoon I can give you a frag of my Pipe Organ.

jorjef
08-07-2010, 07:26 PM
LOL I hear ya, the girl at the shop said it was even hotter in the past ..... I put a thermometer in for less than 60 seconds and it was at 92.....Most of the corals he had in there are now in his "bone yard" He won't listen to anyone about placement when he gets a shipment in... most he starts at the top of the tank 6x54 T5 and they start to bleach in a day or two. I saw a Long Tentacle plate set eight inches from the power head and was stripped clean of its flesh in a day....

reefwars
08-07-2010, 07:34 PM
those people dont learn lessons and are out to make a fast buck thats why its $20, he wants to sell it before it dies and he gets nothing id leave it and teach him another lesson that he will probably wont get anyways:)wish someone would give me a pipeorgan to waste away.....sadly i want one but will wait for someone to sell a healthy one locally:)

paddyob
08-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I don't have a picture so will describe the best I can. No hand/soft tissue of the coral have been seen for some time. The skeleton in still a nice color of red that fades into flesh tone as it gets to the end of the hard tube. The tank, believe it or not is at 92 degrees (not mine the LFS where this coral is) and was wondering if his was the reason nothing has emerged from the tubes. They are asking $20.00 but I don;t want to throw $20.00 into the garbage in a week.... Anyone have an idea if with the proper color on te skeleton it has a chance of either being alive or coming back..

Is there a store in regina? My brother in law will be setting up a tank on my persistance (haha) and I was not aware there was anyone selling salt in Regina.

dreef
08-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Yeah there's one store in regina,i learned a long time ago to stay far away from that place.It's all about money,no one knows about reef safe fish they just sell you whatever,and your on your own.I will give you a peice of pipe organ,send me a pm,my wife will be in regina next week.