PDA

View Full Version : Dosing

delo978
08-06-2010, 07:39 PM
So I have my dosing schedule and my tank is doing amazingly well however I can't find any information about the following and I'm hoping one of you is a chemical scientist who can give me an answer. I dose potassium K80 by Tailored Aquatics and was inquiring if potassium Iodide is the same as I don't want to overdose. I wanted to add Lugol's to my schedule which is potassium Iodide and Iodine as that's the only buffers I don't dose for.

Thanks for any information. If you happen to find a link please let me know so I can do some more research on the subject.

Cheers

mark
08-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Like everything else, test for what you add so you don't over-dose. Note the drop over time, then work out a schedule to maintain level.

Myka
08-07-2010, 04:51 AM
Be sure to use a potassium test kit so you know if you are maintain the correct level when using the K80 supplement. Potassium iodide is not used for dosing potassium as it contains too much Iodide. You will increase the Iodide level way too high if you try to get to the proper potassium level this way, this is why it is usually called an Iodine supplement. The trouble with Iodide and Iodine dosing is that reef quality Iodine test kits are not accurate enough to count on. Imo, the best way to dose Iodide and Iodine is to watch your tank. If you get algae growth, cut back. If your corals turn overly green, cut back. Most tanks will get enough Iodine from the dry foods we feed the inhabitants.

Also, when using a strong Iodine supplement like Lugol's, the difference between a dose and an overdose is not significant, but the results are! Personally, I feel comfortable dosing Potassium iodide regularly, but not Lugol's. There have been times when I have experimented dosing Lugol's, but I dosed about 1/8th of the label directions since I am extremely cautious when dosing something I cannot reliably test for.

delo978
08-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll just skip dosing iodide/iodine for now and watch how my tank is doing.