PDA

View Full Version : Vortech MP40es Questions

Madreefer
08-06-2010, 07:05 PM
So I ordered one of these from Ocean Aquatics. I have a 144G half circle tank. Right now there is 3 Hydor #4's in the tank. Will one MP40 do the trick and anybody with a bow front or circle tank care to post any input on results? And those with odd ball shaped tanks have any suggestions on placement?

Sunee
08-06-2010, 08:11 PM
The Eco Smart manual is available on line and it has a section on suggested placement of the pump for various tank shapes. Naturally they suggest two - a master and a slave. I am still waiting for my pumps so have no personal experience on placement but I expect someone else will chaime in with their placement and how they work. Good luck!

Zoaelite
08-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm running a single MP 40W on my 170g 6', it creates a very dramatic amount of flow but I will be purchasing a second one shortly. Ditch the korellias ASAP, Vortec is the way to go!

viperfish
08-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I bought my MP40w ES last week. My tank is 150 Gal 48x30x24" tall, I was running two K4's and two Evo 1400's. I pulled the two K4's and I am currently running a single MP40 and I have the two Evo's connected to my Apex controller as a wavemaker. I will probably add a second MP40 eventually but for now it's doing a great job of moving water. If I put mine on short pulse mode it creates quite a wave across my tank... very impressive. I have been running mine on reef crest mode pretty much full time only to put it on short pulse when I want to show off, LOL. There are certainly a ton of more options when running two MP40's but a grand for two pumps is a lot to swallow at once.

mike31154
08-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Can't help with advice on placement in an odd shaped tank, my 77 is your standard rectangle so I have one MP40W ES at each end. I can pretty much assure you though that a single VorTech will be insufficient for most applications on a tank your size. You'll need to continue to supplement flow with several of your other pumps until you decide on a second VorTech. In addition, purchasing a wireless capable pump and not using the full features offered by the wireless control capabilities by having a second pump, would be a waste of money. The features and options with two or even three of these is mind boggling, almost too much to wrap your head around.

Due to the cost, I started with a single MP40W several years ago, just before the Gen 2 upgrade. I managed to snag a good deal on a second new one (Gen 2) from a fellow reefer on another forum who had a change of plans about a year after my initial purchase from J&L. A few bucks to upgrade the original to Gen 2 and I was away to the races. And of course a few months ago, I ordered a couple of the ES drivers to get the added features provided by the latest upgrade.

Madreefer
08-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks for your info guys. I'm looking forward to getting the powerheads out of my tank. Number one reason I chose to get the vortech over a aquacontroller. I'll get that later. I can always tell my wife that I cut one of my Hydors in half and put the motor on the outside.:lol:

mike31154
08-07-2010, 02:04 AM
Pretty sure once you get that bad boy in your system, you'll be scheming for the second, possibly even third.... The great thing about them is that you can also get an MP10W ES to work with the big guys. Getting all those 120V ac electrical cords from the other powerheads out of the water is another bonus.

Madreefer
08-17-2010, 06:58 AM
Well after having this thing on for a few days now I really like it. I did end up keeping one of my Koralia's in the tank. The 2 together are working great. I will end up getting another one later on. I have been running it on Reef-Crest mode and having the Night mode come on at 9:00. Is the night mode supposed to be on for 14 hours? Becuase mine does not stay on for that long at all.

Sunee
08-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Have you changed the night mode time to 14 hours in the configuration? The manual says the default time for night mode is only 10 hours, you have to change the configuration if you want it longer.

Madreefer
08-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Have you changed the night mode time to 14 hours in the configuration? The manual says the default time for night mode is only 10 hours, you have to change the configuration if you want it longer.

It does'nt even mention night mode in the manual I got with it. I read how to put it in to night mode on the net somewheres. Whats with these manufactures? Every gadget I seem to buy for my tank has crappy instructions or none at all.

Sunee
08-17-2010, 02:53 PM
I haven't got my pumps yet, they are in the mail but I downloaded the EcoSmart manual from the Ecotech site before I ordered. The full manual is available in pdf at the following link:http://ecotechmarine.com/ecosmart/

Madreefer
08-18-2010, 04:41 AM
I haven't got my pumps yet, they are in the mail but I downloaded the EcoSmart manual from the Ecotech site before I ordered. The full manual is available in pdf at the following link:http://ecotechmarine.com/ecosmart/

Thanks by the way. That helps explain things a little better.

mike31154
08-18-2010, 06:14 AM
Keep an eye on the starting time you set the night mode at. There are problems with it delaying a bit every day resulting in the night mode kicking in later every day. I'd be interested to know if your new drivers are afflicted in the same manner. I need to reset the time every week or so to keep it in line. Not a real big deal, but EcoTech seems to be struggling with a solution.

Sunee
08-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks by the way. That helps explain things a little better.
You are welcome!

Mike31154 - thanks for that tip!

Madreefer
08-28-2010, 06:28 AM
So after running this for a couple of weeks I really like it. Running on reef crest. But noticed a really weird thing. I have a Bell Express Veiw sat. The kind that runs multiple rooms. The main tv is fine but the ones in other rooms have slight lines that flicker on the screen. I know the vortech is causing this because it only started when I put the pump in. When I shut it off the lines go away. Anyone else experience this. Could there be a problem with my pump to cause this interference?

Zoaelite
08-28-2010, 07:29 AM
So after running this for a couple of weeks I really like it. Running on reef crest. But noticed a really weird thing. I have a Bell Express Veiw sat. The kind that runs multiple rooms. The main tv is fine but the ones in other rooms have slight lines that flicker on the screen. I know the vortech is causing this because it only started when I put the pump in. When I shut it off the lines go away. Anyone else experience this. Could there be a problem with my pump to cause this interference?

Haha nope its normal mine did the exact same, messed with the TV and actually if you try and play a radio by it the frequency of the Vortec will be played. It's an absolutely evil sound, I woke up to it the morning after I watched Paranormal activity and nearly died.

Madreefer
08-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Haha nope its normal mine did the exact same, messed with the TV and actually if you try and play a radio by it the frequency of the Vortec will be played. It's an absolutely evil sound, I woke up to it the morning after I watched Paranormal activity and nearly died.

Thanks. I was beginning to think I got a "bad strain." You of all people should know what I mean by that.:biggrin:

Zoaelite
08-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks. I was beginning to think I got a "bad strain." You of all people should know what I mean by that.:biggrin:

Haha because I can't portray sarcasm properly on this site:

[Sarcasm]
I have no idea at all what your talking about :wink:
[/Endsarcasm]

Madreefer
09-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Another question. How loud is other peoples Vortech? Should I be able to hear it? It's not vibrating but just a kind of whirring sound. Can't tell if it's the wet or dry side.

mike31154
09-12-2010, 03:59 AM
Most of the sound is probably from the dry side. Since the dry side is outside of the tank, there's no water to dampen the motor sound. It's usually more noticeable on short pulse mode ramping up to 100%. In many cases, they will also quiet down after a few days 'break in' period. Also depends on what else around your system is generating noise. I really only hear mine in the evening after the lights (and associated fans) go out. But once they go into slower 'night' mode, things are pretty quiet.

Doug
09-12-2010, 01:17 PM
I find mine pretty loud when on full. Or at least "loud", when its quiet in the room with the halide fans off, etc.

Definitely no less noise than my Tunze 6080 made, unless throttled down some. And one is noisier than the other.

All in all, I like them. Good pumps. Would I sell my 6080,s to purchase them again. I dont think I would, as they are just as good. I suppose if one used more of the features on the Vortechs than I do. :lol:

Plus both mine are wired, as they are MP 20,s.