PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Reefers?

One_Divided
11-21-2003, 05:16 PM
I've noticed a lot of new victoria people appearing lately. I think it would be a good time to set up some sort of meeting/ frag swap and get some of the new people out.

I'm thinking mid december or early january would be a good time.

Also, it looks like a few of us are in need of some reflector material (spectal alluminum). We had ordered a sheet before, but as I recall, we needed quite a few people to get rid of all of it. I'd say we could order another sheet and split it up at the meeting.

Any interest? email me, pm me, or just reply!

Aquattro
11-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Who is going to bend it this time? Is the meeting at your house? Steve hasn't had people over yet, maybe we could do it there. And we could all play with his new saw :razz:

Seth
11-21-2003, 07:16 PM
I'm going to victoria on sat, anyone have any frags to sell? :)

Aquattro
11-21-2003, 07:31 PM

What are you looking for?

StirCrazy
11-21-2003, 11:29 PM

I am sure if we time it right I could sell you some of Brads :mrgreen:

I will be gone for 3 weeks so count me out of any meeting. going to be looking for frags in Sandeigo :mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro
11-21-2003, 11:40 PM
Steve, when is the 3 weeks? We can work around it for you.

Aquattro
11-22-2003, 05:19 AM
Steve, when is the 3 weeks? We can work around it for you.

Steve?

sumpfinfishe
11-22-2003, 05:23 AM
That's ok Brad, I don't mind sitting in for Steve :razz:
Count this mainlander in, if it's on a weekend :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
11-22-2003, 05:34 AM
well I leave monday and I will be back the second week of december. then I have to start getting ready for company :rolleyes: so might be nuts till the new year.

Steve

TNTCanada
11-22-2003, 05:40 AM
If you guys have a extra seat I'm trying to get some more contacts in Victoria. I have had a 90 salty set up for about 3 years. I'm looking at building up my reef. It would be great to build up some contacts.

Aquattro
11-22-2003, 05:59 AM
TNT, glad to have you come by. Steve there isn't being too sociable, but the rest of us like getting together. :razz:

TNTCanada
11-22-2003, 06:11 AM
I'm free Mondays, Sundays and every evenings but Thursday. If you guys are getting together drop me a line
Cheers

Kayleb
11-22-2003, 06:28 AM
I don't need any alluminum right now, but I always like looking at tanks.
Pretty much any time after !st week of dec. is good for me.

Aquattro
11-22-2003, 06:46 AM
, but I always like looking at tanks.
Pretty much any time after !st week of dec. is good for me.

Kayleb, I'm surprised this is your first post! I thought you'd posted before? Oh well, good to see some Vic participation!

Adam, you keeping track of everyone to contact?

StirCrazy
11-22-2003, 06:48 AM
hmmm looks like maybe we will have to make a victoria club area if we keep going at this pace :mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro
11-22-2003, 06:52 AM
hmmm looks like maybe we will have to make a victoria club area if we keep going at this pace :mrgreen:

Steve

you're right. We might even let Colwood people post! Unless they refuse to host a meeting :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
11-22-2003, 07:08 AM

Steve

you're right. We might even let Colwood people post! Unless they refuse to host a meeting :rolleyes:

I don't ever recall that "sanich" person holding a meeting either :mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro
11-22-2003, 07:14 AM
I don't ever recall that "sanich" person holding a meeting either :mrgreen:
Steve

That would be because you didn't show up. :razz:

christyf5
11-22-2003, 05:50 PM
Ooh, count me in too :mrgreen:

Aquattro
11-22-2003, 05:54 PM
Ooh, count me in too :mrgreen:

Christy, we always count you in. WOuldn't be the same without you!! :biggrin:

Bob I
11-22-2003, 06:42 PM

Steve

You do for sure. :rolleyes: Then I can come over to your Victoria forum, and bother you, whoopie :silly: :lilangel:

Aquattro
11-22-2003, 06:45 PM
There goes that idea. We'll just use the Calgary forum, as usual!

Bob I
11-22-2003, 06:48 PM
Sure, we adopt anyone. We need more humour, and bad spelling.
:BIG: :crazyeye:

Aquattro
11-22-2003, 06:49 PM

I'll get Steve working on that right away!! But not the humour part....

Bob I
11-22-2003, 06:53 PM

I'll get Steve working on that right away!! But not the humour part....

I don't want to be rude :lilangel: , but do you think Steve needs more work on that :question:

Aquattro
11-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Naw, Steve's humour is progressing nicely!

One_Divided
11-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Naw, Steve's humour is progressing nicely!

You're pleasant sarcasm is probably starting to rub off on him!

I think a vic forum would be a good idea.. Brad. perhaps you can use your moderator powers to talk to Titus about adding it?

Keeping track of names. This could be a good one. I will give Mike a call about maybe touring the uvic facility this time.

[/quote]

Aquattro
11-22-2003, 08:01 PM
I think a vic forum would be a good idea.. Brad. perhaps you can use your moderator powers to talk to Titus about adding it?

Adam, I'm not sure at this point we need one. Although many new people from Victoria have joined the board, they seem overly shy for the most part and I'm afraid a Victoria forum would have you, Steve and I talking about nothing. And we can do that inthe Calgary forum.

If I see some interest from the new people, I'll talk to the boss about a forum just for us (and Bob).

EmilyB
11-22-2003, 08:09 PM
I'm afraid a Victoria forum would have you, Steve and I talking about nothing. And we can do that inthe Calgary forum.

http://www.mysmilie.de/smilies/frech/img/023.gif

Bob I
11-22-2003, 08:28 PM

Adam, I'm not sure at this point we need one. Although many new people from Victoria have joined the board, they seem overly shy for the most part and I'm afraid a Victoria forum would have you, Steve and I talking about nothing. And we can do that inthe Calgary forum.

If I see some interest from the new people, I'll talk to the boss about a forum just for us (and Bob).

And you could invite that haha wondrous speller from Edmonton hehe to join us.
:silly: :smilecol: :silly:

TNTCanada
11-23-2003, 02:53 AM
You you guys want bad spelling I'm you man :lol:

TNTCanada
11-23-2003, 02:54 AM
See what I mean

apepper
11-23-2003, 03:30 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to the area, new to the forum and new to the hobby (or is it obsession) so I don't think I'm quite ready for club meetings yet ;). I could use a little local advice though. This may not be the right thread but since this is the closest thread to a Victoria club forum here goes.

I am currently in the planning stages of my first reef tank and have been reading as much as I can (mostly internet a few books also). I have lots of questions but I will start with some simple ones.

Are there any local stores (LFS) that are worth dealing with or do most people deal with the stores on the mainland or mail order? Where is the best place to get a few good pieces of live rock (or is this just hit and miss)?

I was thinking of starting slow with just a few good pieces of live rock a few critters and maybe a fish or two. I am being given some equipment (never been used) but I am not sure yet what all is included other than a 45 gallon tank and accessories. Any helpful advice for a beginner would be appreciated. As I have specific questions I will post them.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, just seemed like a good place to introduce myself.

Alex

Aquattro
11-23-2003, 03:35 AM
Alex, good to see you post. Did you get my email? I think you are right at the exact point to be attending meetings, as that is where you get to pick everyone's brain about all your questions.
2 stores in town, Safari Pets and Hillside Aquatics. Both have rock for about the same price and it comes from the same place (most of the time). Mail order from J&L is a popular method of buying stuff, but nothing beats browsing in the stores.
Let us know when you get the equipment ad we'll give you honest advice on what to use and what to sell (for rock money).

apepper
11-23-2003, 04:00 AM
Brad,

I got your email (checked it after I got your reply in the thread ;), thanks for the prompting. I have browsed through both of the stores you mentioned, one of the guys I talked with at Safari seemed ok. I saw a few half dead fish at the other store so I haven't hurried back, maybe they were just having a bad day.

Alex

Aquattro
11-23-2003, 04:07 AM
Alex, glad you decided to not just lurk. When picking a store to deal with, you can often tell by the way the talk to you and how knowledgable they are, and I always note the health of the fish. It sounds like you're finding your way around, but if you need help, let us know.

TNTCanada
11-23-2003, 05:21 AM
Hey everyone just finished posting a pic of our tank if you have a chance take a look. As you can see it still needs a lot of work any coments to help us in the right direction would be great. The tanks been up for over 3 years but we just decided to start going bigger on the reef side of it and got rid of all our non reef fish. :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
11-23-2003, 05:26 AM
I don't think I'm quite ready for club meetings yet ;). I could use a little local advice though.

Alex

they are more like social get togeathers sence we don;t have a formal club. we just get togeather look at a tank or two and then try see what we can convince the person hosting to frag for us :mrgreen:

the board here can be a valuable asset, befor you buy something ask for opinions or do a serch and see if there is any info about it in a previous thread, a little time here can save a lot of money in the long run, but if you like spending it just say so and I can show ya how.. I seam to be getting good at it :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro
11-23-2003, 05:27 AM
Tyler, looks like a good base to start with. You'll appreciate the depth of the tank for landscaping. Pic is a bit dark though.

TNTCanada
11-23-2003, 05:39 AM
Ya I need to spend some time and get a good pic :lol:

Aquattro
11-23-2003, 06:15 AM
Ya I need to spend some time and get a good pic :lol:

Pics fine, just dark. I'll email you a lightened copy.

Werbo
12-23-2003, 10:48 PM
Is there a date set for Victorians to get together???

I'd like to meet some other local reefers...

Early in January??

Aquattro
12-23-2003, 10:52 PM
Adam, any further developments on this??

TNTCanada
12-27-2003, 06:02 PM
Count us in we would like to meet more people in the area as well
Cheers
Tyler & Tara

Reefmaster
01-18-2004, 04:21 AM
i have a surplus of rock w mushrooms...if there is a meeting i'd consider trading for clean cured or uncured rock.
best to pm me.
shane

StirCrazy
01-18-2004, 04:43 AM
i have a surplus of rock w mushrooms...if there is a meeting i'd consider trading for clean cured or uncured rock.
best to pm me.
shane

hey your alive again, hows it going Shane?

Steve

totalpackage181
02-10-2005, 11:32 PM
what is the address or email of the vic club...or is there one?

IslandReefer
03-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Welcome......lets see the 181gal pics. :cool:

As for a club.....This is it, best reef info around anywhere.
And as Steve said, if you have trouble spending your money, we can help you there tooo :razz:

totalpackage181
03-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I wish it was a 181 gallon but it is just a little over a hundred , custom tank 48x16x31...yup a tall one.....got hair algae like crazy so am still working through that problem.....also , dont know how to post pictures

IslandReefer
03-07-2005, 10:29 PM
A hundred gal is plenty to get in trouble with :smile:
This should help wit hposting pics:
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8276

Willow
03-07-2005, 11:34 PM
maybe this thread might be better in the vancouver island forum?

StirCrazy
03-08-2005, 02:59 AM
maybe this thread might be better in the vancouver island forum?

this was created way way befor there was a Victoria forum :mrgreen: would be a travisty to move it now LOL

Steve

Willow
03-08-2005, 03:26 AM
ok, i just thought it was weird seeing it here, no bad bad mojo on this thread :Fade-col: