PDA

View Full Version : Finally figured out why my tank wasn't doing so great... grr

JTrigger
11-21-2003, 06:19 AM
So I just figured out why my calcium levels kept rising despite only dripping kalk to maintain levels after I turbo'd my way up to 425ppm. Apparently I had these directions near my computer about what to do on a daily basis for additives to my tank and my roomate decided that for the past week since I was getting off so late from work to help out... he didn't read the big note beneath TURBO CALCIUM stating to add until calcium level of >400 achieved and kept adding teaspoons of it daily without telling me...

Hrmm.. perhaps this had something to do with my recently purchased carpet biting it... as well as the tank looking so murky with this gunk floating around all the time? Hrmm.. perhaps not.. but at least I figured it out... oh man! That's just brutal!

JT

Aquattro
11-21-2003, 06:46 AM
What are your Ca levels now? If they get too high, your alk will likely crash. Or you could get a snow storm. They're fun! :razz:

sumpfinfishe
11-21-2003, 07:24 AM
JT,

Just a little input on tanks and roomates if I may :mrgreen:

My roomate has been reefing for 10+ years and I have been at it for just over 6 years. We have a golden rule that is, I don't mess with his tank and he doesn't mess with mine. We will feed and top up water for each other while out of town, but only when asked and that's it! Not even adjusting, dosing or cleaning. I think this practice has helped keep us great friends over the years, that way we cannot blame each other for some unwanted event or mistake in one an others reefs:biggrin:
It would be a hard day for me too see that my roomate and best friend caused a major event in my tank, there's just too much time and money spent into our systems :smile:

We know of two friends who almost lost there friendship, because one was showing the system off to another buddy when he broke the 40gl into pieces by accidently dropping the canopy on the tank :sad:

Skimmerking
11-21-2003, 03:56 PM
[b] i had the same thing happened to me, I had some new rock covered in coraline and put it in and assumed that the CAL would start to suck up and so i started to added the reactor to getit going. Not having a test kit i ASSUMED it would be ok and when i received my test kits i tested and holy crap!!!!!!! :cry: the CAL was at 50 and so i added the SEA CHEM reef complete along with the reactor going didnt think it would affect a week later i figured out the CAL was at 650 and the ALK was not good and it started.

I lost my ACHILLES Tang
SCOPAS tang
2 coral beauties
my Hippo tang got ick and he lived hes at a friends home in a 180 :smile:
and there was anotherfish i cant remember any ways i learnt from the hard way.

NEVER AGAIN WILL I ASSUME ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

MIKE

LATER

Son Of Skyline
11-21-2003, 07:46 PM
DOH! (In classic Homer Simpson fashion)

People just don't understand the unwritten rule...NEVER touch another man's reef tank :razz: