PDA

View Full Version : mushroom safe corals

skabooya
08-05-2010, 04:28 AM
Are there any lps corals or other softies (besides zoas and other mushrooms or cloves) safe with mushrooms and zoas??

I am looking at a candycane and either a hammer or frogspawn. Ive read that a torch coral has the weakest sweepers of all the lps.
How long are a candycanes sweepers ?

TheKid
08-05-2010, 04:29 AM
Should be ok as long none of then touch the mushrooms or zoas

Rogue951
08-05-2010, 05:12 AM
I've had a fuzzy mushroom kill a branch of hammer coral.

ElGuappo
08-05-2010, 06:27 AM
i have had torches, frogspawn, bubbles, plates, gorgs. etc with them.. as mentioned above as long as they dont touch they wont harm anything...beware of torch sweepers.. they can get huge... during the day mine were 2" and at night sometimes up to 4" long... honestly my torch was responsible for more harm than my zoas and mushrooms..

skabooya
08-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I know that they shouldnt touch but my tank isint that big. Its a 28gal long 36".
I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 coral lps coral. My tank is mainly a softy tank but i didnt want the lps to hurt my mushrooms or zoas.
I could put an lps (hammer or frogspawn or torch) in either corner of my tank where the water flow blows their sweepers to the corners. But its not a strong flow. I was also thinking of a candy cane up at the top of the tank if the sweepers were not that long so as to stretch and touch the mushrooms/rics etc growing around it.

What do you think. would i be safe? Which is the nastyiest lps i mentioned for killing softies.

Also what tall softy could i use for the top of my aquarium that can have mushrooms fairly close to them. By close i mean possibly touching.

whatcaneyedo
08-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Platygyra, hydnophora and galaxea seem to be able to hold their own and dominate against anything. Which is why very few people put them in overcrowded tanks.

Aquattro
08-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Platygyra, hydnophora and galaxea seem to be able to hold their own and dominate against anything.

I've had mushrooms kill hydnophora and grow up it's base....which surprised me!

edikpok
08-05-2010, 06:16 PM
mushrooms can be nasty!!! My acans and brains are scared of them!

skabooya
08-05-2010, 11:37 PM
So heres what im thinking.
Candy cane up near the top of the tank OR the right hand side under the powerhead. and either a frogspawn on the left hand side under the other powerhead. All sweepers will be pushed towards the side glass where there are no corals... just macro algae. for the top of the tank/rocks i am looking at tall softies.

Any suggestions on tall softies that wont hurt my mushrooms??
Devils hand leather? Siluneria sp? I need tall and bushy.

ElGuappo
08-06-2010, 12:47 AM
What about a toadstool leather????

Kevotron
08-06-2010, 02:08 AM
What about a toadstool leather????

+1 on the toalstool leather
haven't seen it harm any of my corals
altho mine has spitted into many babies and have tons of them growing elsewhere in my tank

reefwars
08-06-2010, 03:03 AM
ive seen some huge frogspawns they get big fast:)