PDA

View Full Version : Tank on second floor.

Seth72
08-04-2010, 03:14 AM
Hi,I am just starting out in this hobby and I am sure I will have lots of questions along the way,any time anyone takes to awnser them I am thankfull for.

So this is my first question. My tank is 120 gallon 48x24x24, with a 30 gallon sump.Total 150 gallon.It will be on a wood stand so the weight is dispersed evenly over the 16 square feet of the tank.It will be placed beside an outside wall running against the joists,(should cover three).The home is 4 years old.
Now I did read all the articals i could find ,so im not waisting your time,What i would like to know now is some real life examples.

So if anybody could leave examples of the size of tanks that they currently have on there second floors above the basement and any problems you have encountered if any.

Thanks in advance guys:)

sean2477
08-04-2010, 03:20 AM
Ive got my 135 gallon with a 40 gallon sump on the second floor of my house and have had no problem.

monocus
08-04-2010, 04:00 AM
think of a fridge sitting on 2-3 joists and the weight-the joists will take a lot of live weight no problem-especialy alongside a outer wall

Seth72
08-04-2010, 04:15 AM
think of a fridge sitting on 2-3 joists and the weight-the joists will take a lot of live weight no problem-especialy alongside a outer wall

I dont think my fridge with just a bottle of mustard in it weighs that much:lol:

No, but it is really serious weight we are talking about 1600 pounds,but ive already decided to do it,I just wanted to know if anybody has had any problems running tanks above 90 gallons on the second floor.

Its really hard to find good advice in this hobby,for example,i wasnt even going to buy a tank because i refused to have the heat and power bills from hilade lighting and everyone was saying 6 watts to ten watts per gallon and i figured no way am i going to run 700 watts of lighting for a fish tank.

Then my pro told me that its not the watts but the depth that counts,so just a 24 inch deep tank with a couple of inches substrate then live rock,you can keep corals fine with t5s even stony corals closer to the top.

So I think it is going to be best to try to learn by example...such as how many people are keeping corals just fine in a 24 inch deep tank with t5s.

There are just so many opinions.

:confused:

Milad
08-04-2010, 05:06 AM
I dont think my fridge with just a bottle of mustard in it weighs that much:lol:

No, but it is really serious weight we are talking about 1600 pounds,but ive already decided to do it,I just wanted to know if anybody has had any problems running tanks above 90 gallons on the second floor.

Its really hard to find good advice in this hobby,for example,i wasnt even going to buy a tank because i refused to have the heat and power bills from hilade lighting and everyone was saying 6 watts to ten watts per gallon and i figured no way am i going to run 700 watts of lighting for a fish tank.

Then my pro told me that its not the watts but the depth that counts,so just a 24 inch deep tank with a couple of inches substrate then live rock,you can keep corals fine with t5s even stony corals closer to the top.

So I think it is going to be best to try to learn by example...such as how many people are keeping corals just fine in a 24 inch deep tank with t5s.

There are just so many opinions.

:confused:

i was reading somwhere newer homes because of code shouldnt have a problem with bigger tanks as long as you run them across the joints.

as far as your lights, go MH or you will kick your self later. im running 150w on my 180 and it seems fine. Total of 800+ watts with my attincs on (i think) and havent really seen much difference in power bill. You gota remember they arent on 24/7 only 6hrs a day for the MH. Also my computers and server pull more power than the fish tank!

reason im saying MH is you will always run into that one coral you wish you could put in your tank but just dont have enough light for it.

Chaloupa
08-04-2010, 05:20 AM
I had both a 120g and a 150g on the same exterior wall on my second floor..no problems...both were run across the joists.

ILIKECOUGARS
08-04-2010, 05:40 AM
I have a 150g (48L x 30W x 24H) tank with 50g sump. 180g total water volume, which is placed by a outside wall and the floor joist run perpendicular. The joists (2x10) are enbeded in concrete @ 16" center on the outside wall. I made sure that the stand would sit on 4-floor joist, and have had no problems.

abcha0s
08-04-2010, 12:44 PM
I had a 90 gallon sumpless system in a poorly built house, several feet in from wall and it DID warp the floor. I'm not saying that is in any way similar to your situation, but the warp was definitly observable. The risk isn't the tank crashing through the floor, but a gradual change in the floor level. Worst case, this could lead to stressing the silicone seams.

In any event - I think your probably fine too.

I no longer live in that "poorly built" house, but when I moved my 90 gallon tank I decided to put it in the basement for several reasons.

1. Heat - The top floor is often significantly warmer than the basement.
2. Construction - On a bad day, the area around the tank looks like a construction site. Keeping this in the basement helps to appease the wife.
3. Plumbing - It is easier to find taps and drains in the basement.
4. Space - I use the furnace room for mixing water and such. This space would not be available up stairs.
5. Electircal - If you need to run a new breaker, you can do it yourself in the basement. Upstairs and you will need an electrician (if it's possible).

In summary, it's more a question of logistics than the structural integrity of your house. However, don't completely discount the structural concerns. Over many years, this amount of weight can cause problems if the proper precautions are not taken.

Seamazter
08-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Read this guys explanations.
there is more to the artical but as you can see very easy to read and understand.
http://www.petkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/reefs/1789/140-Gallon-Saltwater-Aquarium-Weight
Homes are built with the following codes:
Attic floors must support 20 lbs per sq ft. [2x6s on 16 inch centers
at span]
Dwelling Units (meaning all rooms in the home other than bedrooms)
must support 40 lbs per sq ft. [2x12s on 16 inch centers at span]
Sleeping Rooms must support 30 lbs per sq ft. (although most homes
are built at 40 lbs per sq ft or greater throughout) [2x10s on 16 inch
centers at span]
In comparison, commercial offices, such as office buildings are only
50 lbs per sq ft. [2x12s on 16 inch centers at 3/4 span]

FWIW: A glass aquarium sitting directly on the floor has a greater
pound per square inch weight on the flooring than one sitting on a
properly constructed stand with a 3-1/2 inch perimeter footprint.
The framing of an all glass aquarium is often molded to product only a
1/2 inch perimeter footprint. Thus with a perimeter measurement of
only 156 inches at 1/2 inch wide, we only have 78 sq in of surface
touching the floor. 2000 lbs divided by 78 makes the weight on the
flooring over 25 lbs per square inch.
As we see from above, on the proper stand, the weight would only be 4
lbs per square inch on the same flooring for the same aquarium.

reefwars
08-04-2010, 01:24 PM
i had my 180 plus 50g sump in my living room as long as you stay as close to your exterior walls as possible. a load bearing wall would also be fine .theres a better chance of your stand colapsing than your floor lol also make sure you cover the floor with plywood or something so as not to damage your flooring:)

think of it like this your bathtub filled with water with two people in it

globaldesigns
08-04-2010, 04:32 PM
+1 with the others.

I have my 180G display with 105G refuge/sump in my bonus room against 2 outside walls... I even had a contractor look at it, as I was going to put a support in the garage for it, but he wouldn't! He said you don't need it.

After over 2 years, it hasn't moved... I often check the level of the system, but also note the ceiling in the garage, nothing has changed.

Seth72
08-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks guys I start to feel better when I hear other people who have had no problems.

I guess i'll just do what i can and watch for any differance or sagging in the floor,and if so I will have to dismantle it and sell it,because taking care of fish and watching fish while doing the laundry in the cold basement doesnt appeal to me:biggrin:

Seth72
08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
+1 with the others.

I have my 180G display with 105G refuge/sump in my bonus room against 2 outside walls... I even had a contractor look at it, as I was going to put a support in the garage for it, but he wouldn't! He said you don't need it.

After over 2 years, it hasn't moved... I often check the level of the system, but also note the ceiling in the garage, nothing has changed.

Wow thats 285 gallons plus the weight of the tanks.That makes me feel the best yet....soon I shall be able to sleep at night. Thanks:biggrin: