PDA

View Full Version : Cube reef tank questions.

tony_3a
08-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Im looking to upgrade from my current 90 just cause I dont like the placement in the current location and I have a perfect corner in my living room where i could fit a custom tank i would get made about 38l 29w and any hight i want, so depending on the hight anywhere from 115 gallon for a 24 inch hight up to about 140 if i did a 30 high.

Anyways what im wondering because im still kind of new is, would lets say a Hippo tang, or naso or something be ok in a tank like that if i left a lot of swimming space, or do they purely need length in their tanks, not just space?

Also, anyone had any experience aquascaping a tank like that?

Or is lighting a issue on tanks that deep? Im just not 100 percent sure so any input on a tank like this would be amazing thanks so much!!

Tony

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Nope, unfortunately, a cubish tank is a poor choice for fast swimming fish since they are limited to tight circles. I would keep some of the smaller tangs in there, but nothing like a Naso.

tony_3a
08-04-2010, 02:02 AM
thats what i figured :(

Milad
08-04-2010, 05:07 AM
i hear sirens!!!

hehehe

longer is better, even if the girls dont tell you that.
Im a huge fan of 3+ sides of viewing

im sure if you think about it some more, you can put a long tank somewhere, think peninsula! they rock, or even an island. Thats my next project after i win the lottery. Already doing up some plans.

tony_3a
08-04-2010, 05:22 AM
Its not the size of the tank, its how you aquascape it......

hahaha possibly the lamest thing ive ever thought of butttt, im not exactly sober haha ok ill stop.

On a more serious note, thanks for your input guys, any other thoughts anyone?

Tony

shrimpchips
08-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Well, for the larger tangs (Acanthurus, Naso), size does matter. The tank would be better if it was longer as opposed to more cubish to allow for these fish to swim and really grow out well, unless you're sporting a 5' cube :)

For a 3.5'x2' tank, I'd stick to Ctenochaetus tangs, and maybe a zebrasoma if it's one of the smaller ones, and a smaller specimen too.

edit: I see I don't understand humor. But seriously. I saw a 10" blonde naso in a 120 short (48x24x24) and it was certainly the saddest looking naso I've ever seen.