PDA

View Full Version : Second Sump Question

phar
08-03-2010, 08:37 PM
So, I'm thinking about adding another sump to my aquarium. Here's my thinking. I have a lot of live rock (~170 lbs) and a ninety gallon tank. I have a 40 gallon sump underneath the tank and it's already full of live rock. I want to free up more space in my display but don't want to get rid of the rock. I have an extra 27 gallon tank kicking around (not drilled).
I'm trying to figure out how I can use this as a second sump but move water back and forth main sump to this second sump without creating a possibility of a syphon. (My concern is a power outage will flood my basement...)
Any advice, or should I just sell the extra liverock.
Thanks,
Patrick

gobytron
08-03-2010, 08:48 PM
with a quality external overflow properly set up you should have no concerns in a power outtage.

I'm going on a year with my current external overflow (home made) and have not lost siphon even once.

same thing with every external I have ever owned, never once had a flood or even a close call....

Milad
08-03-2010, 11:44 PM
So, I'm thinking about adding another sump to my aquarium. Here's my thinking. I have a lot of live rock (~170 lbs) and a ninety gallon tank. I have a 40 gallon sump underneath the tank and it's already full of live rock. I want to free up more space in my display but don't want to get rid of the rock. I have an extra 27 gallon tank kicking around (not drilled).
I'm trying to figure out how I can use this as a second sump but move water back and forth main sump to this second sump without creating a possibility of a syphon. (My concern is a power outage will flood my basement...)
Any advice, or should I just sell the extra liverock.
Thanks,
Patrick

you are the in same position as me!!!
here is what im doing with an automatic water change:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66767

Basically those boxes are going to be trash cans with a Herbie attached to them overflowing into the current sump. That way I have a full trashcan I can fill with live rock and a full trashcan of water I can drain outside to do a water change easily. BTW trashcans are going to be Rubbermaid roughnecks so they are all plastic and durable.

Milad
08-03-2010, 11:45 PM
o just to add, siphon wouldnt be hardly an issue because the area of water it would siphon would be smalls since the trashcans are very tall not wide.

phar
08-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Milad,
Your set up looks way more intense then I was thinking... You really sketch things out before you do it... Nice planning.
Thanks for the info.
Patrick

reefwars
08-04-2010, 12:34 AM
not sure if i understand correctly but couldnt you just take one of your single overflows and make it into two lines one entering the new sump one the old and you can take both your returns and split them to two pumps?? assuming you run two overflows???:) you wouldnt be moving water from one sump to another just adding another sump::)

phar
08-04-2010, 12:41 AM
that would be ideal but unfortunately there is only one overflow. I thought of doing sort of a staircase where water goes from the display tank to the one sump, then down into the main sump and pumped back into the display. One sump will have to be higher than the other. Well, I guess this is the case regardless of how I set it up.

reefwars
08-04-2010, 12:50 AM
even with one single overflow you can split the overflow into two sumps , youd need two pumps one for each sump , thing about having two sumps with just one overflow in your tank is if the overflow ever became blocked or clogged(heaven forbid) youll have twice the mess:( honestly if you have that much liverock left over sell a few pounds and set up another tank or donate the rock to me for frags:):):) cheers and goodluck

mark
08-04-2010, 01:26 AM
my 20g fuge sits above my sump, split overflow, no floods

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/fuge_2010.jpg

Milad
08-04-2010, 04:57 AM
Milad,
Your set up looks way more intense then I was thinking... You really sketch things out before you do it... Nice planning.
Thanks for the info.
Patrick

my setup is actually reall simple. All you need is a trash can, and a pump.

it looks a bit complicated because i have two trash cans, one for water change

basticlaly you put two holes in a trash can, one above the other, throw in a couple bulkheads, then pump water into it, and let the bottom overflow into your current sump, top one overflow into your current sump (herbie)

simple