PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and need lighting suggestions

PANZERGYMDUDE
08-03-2010, 01:59 AM
I'm new to forums and by all accounts am still a novice to reefing. I have a 72gal bow front. I've been at it about 2 years now and am always trying to improve as are all aquarists. Please take a look at my photos and let me know what you think.

I am trying to build my own hood and have all the accessories (2 x 175 watt MH mogul bases w/ballast, 2 x 15k iwasaki bulbs, 2 x 4 1/2 Icecap fans, 4 x 65 watt PC w/420 actinics) except the reflectors. I'm looking for any leads in locating 2 new x PFO 24" metal halide parallel reflectors. I am aware that PFO folded a couple years ago. However, in my search I've managed to locate a couple retailers that still have stocked PFO items remaining, just not the size I need. I have exhausted my internet leads to include, companies abroad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

whatcaneyedo
08-03-2010, 04:01 AM
If you post in the buy/sell equipment section you might be able to source some 'like new' PFO reflectors. But why are you so adamant about getting them? There are plenty of reflectors on the market right now, many of which are superior in design.

PANZERGYMDUDE
08-03-2010, 09:40 PM
If you post in the buy/sell equipment section you might be able to source some 'like new' PFO reflectors. But why are you so adamant about getting them? There are plenty of reflectors on the market right now, many of which are superior in design.
In my research I've found the PFO parallel reflector to be near the top for retro if not the top in par values. I'm not aware of any other manufacturer that has a similar concept (parallel design) available with par value proof to back a better reflector claim. If there are better reflectors please suggest some. Please refer to the link for some more scientific data. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/feature.htm. In addition, I have limited space in terms of linear depth to work with, only 12 1/2" from front to back. My aquarium is a 72gal bowfront. The PFO parallel reflector will enable me to install my 4 x 24" PCs or 48" T5s along side of the halides. The PFO parallel reflector has a width of 12 1/2". If I were to use any other reflector I would be limited to only using the MHs. If that were the case I wouldn't be able to simulate dawn/dusk hours with my actinics. It would be noon day sun minutes after the lights (MHs) came on.

Considering I have all the accessories (2 x 175 watt MH mogul bases w/ballast, 2 x 15k iwasaki bulbs, 2 x 4 1/2 Icecap fans, 4 x 65 watt PC w/420 actinics) I would have to purchase a pendant with all of the items I already have. The 15k iwasaki bulbs have a brighter white appearance as apposed to a blue in a equivalent or even stronger bulb.

By all means I'm open to alternatives.

Regards

whatcaneyedo
08-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that study show that the PFO parallel creates the most focused 'hot spot'? My understanding is that reflectors that produce a better overall spread like the Lumenarc (plus Lumen Bright and Lumenmax) are more desirable. But if you don't have enough room to fit one I can understand the second part of your argument. Try posting a looking for thread in the buy/sell section.

PANZERGYMDUDE
08-04-2010, 01:48 AM
I'm not not knowledgeable enough on the subject to correct anyone, which is why I'm here. I really do appreciate your advice though. I'll try the buy/sell selection. Thank you for your help on the matter.

StirCrazy
08-04-2010, 03:21 AM
one thing I might suggest is that you sell your 175's and find a reasonable priced set of 250's hqi if you can. 175's absolutly suck for output, not much better than vho or PC. now this is asuming you want to keep some SPS ect.. if not don't worry about it.

Steve

whatcaneyedo
08-04-2010, 04:05 AM
The Sunlight Supply Retrofit Reef Optix reflector might work in your space and is carried by many retailers. I don't know if its any better or worse than PFO's but it looks similar. http://sunlightsupply.com/aqua/products.aspx?request=AQUA_RO2&title=Reflectors&type=product