PDA

View Full Version : Candycane coral/emperor angelfish questions?

tony_3a
08-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Hey guys, I was at a lfs recently and i saw they had a large emperor angelfish for sale for only 4999, and i thought that was a very good deal cause hes a big fish and it if a fish on my wish list, but i know some people have problems with them in reef tanks while ive seen some where they have no problems at all. So i watched the fish for about a hour and he was in a tank that had all sorts of different types of coral in it, lps, sps, mushrooms, zoas and pretty much everything.

Anyways heres my problem, i get home today and my candycane coral is not happy at all and it looks like it has small bites out of it. Im just curious if any of you have/had this fish in their reef tanks, because i also have zoas, candycane hammer frogspawn and a bunch of random sps.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy246/tony_3a/IMG00199-20100801-1947.jpg

heres the fish, hes a beauty and he eats like a tank and is healthy as can be.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy246/tony_3a/IMG00228-20100801-2001.jpg

burrows14
08-02-2010, 03:36 AM
I had to pull out my Lps cause my emporer went right for them when I added him. Hes fine with sps tho. Also I dont think that is a Juv. emporer

intarsiabox
08-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Could either be a juv Koran Angel or Emporer. I've seen the same fish image used under both Koran and Angel headings on-line. Either way you can never trust any angel 100% even with a previous good history.

tony_3a
08-02-2010, 03:52 AM
the lfs had sold it then the person shut down their tank and they took it back, its probably about 8 months old. U guys dont think its a emperor?

burrows14
08-02-2010, 04:03 AM
I would say no. Juv. Emporer angels have a very different pattern.

tony_3a
08-02-2010, 04:03 AM
im really annoyed and upset, i just looked into it a bit more and i think you guys are right, im really mad, i need to stop trusting pet lovers they screw me over nonstop.

othicx
08-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Ya that happens, I've been sold different animals than they were advertized as. The best thing to do is do a bunch of research. If you know how the animals you want look in different stages of growth you should be able to avoid getting screwed over with falsely labled animals.

Madreefer
08-02-2010, 05:04 PM
im really annoyed and upset, i just looked into it a bit more and i think you guys are right, im really mad, i need to stop trusting pet lovers they screw me over nonstop.

Good reason to stop going to "chain stores". Anyone with any marine knowledge most likely not work for minimum wage. Stick to the SW based stores, you should have better luck.

tony_3a
08-02-2010, 06:31 PM
it wasnt a chain store!!! it was rob at pet stop, he owns the place and has a shitload of saltwater fish.

Coleus
08-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Most angels will pick at coral. Even you feed them constantly, they still nip here and there. Overtime, the coral will just die because of the harassment. My medium toadstool, big kenya tree, zoas and green paly are all gone now with 5 angels in my tank. Never have time to investigate which one is doing it and also catching them is going to be a pain. Well just hope they won't touch others coral.