PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Confusion

skabooya
08-01-2010, 08:29 PM
I am finding very little info and what I find is conflicting or if its not trying to find a good combo is very difficult for me.
Currently I have a peppermint shrimp and 2 percs in a macro algae softy coral display tank

The livestock I like are:
6 line wrasse
coral beauty
gobies (yasha my fav)
sexy shrimp
cleaner shrimp
yellow tail blue damsel
electric blue hermits

Im having a really hard time finding a good combination for my tank and need some input. Here are my thoughts so far.

-6 line is agressive and will eat/attack any inverts
-Coral beauty is my fav but it can pic at corals and may eat sexy shrimp
-Gobies are jumpers If I got any gobies I would want a group of 1 shrimp goby like a yasha, yellow clown and something else
-Sexy shrimp may eat softies like zoas if they cant find enough food
-cleaner shrimp are bullies and may attack my peppermint shrimp and sexies I may add
-Yellow tail blue damsel are agressive and I wont be able to add much if anything to tank after that
-electric blue hermits are opportuinistic and will attack eachother and will go after any other invert and possibly some coral if it feels like it.

If i had it my way I would have in my 28gal tank
2 clowns
1 pepermint shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp OR 3+ sexy shrimp
1 coral beauty angelfish
1 six line wrasse
1 or 2 gobies (yasha and yellow clown)
2 or 3 hermit crabs

Please help me find a good combination for my tank.

Current tank list:
2 perc clowns
1 peppermint shrimp
2 photosynthetic gorgonians
4 zoa frags
2 rics florida
3 dioscoma mushroom frags
4 rhodactus mushroom frags
Dragons tongue macro algae
unkown dark red macro algae

Spiny
08-02-2010, 01:31 AM
I never had any problems with my 6-line and inverts. It does attack new fishes though. add it last

Wingin It
08-02-2010, 01:58 AM
If i had it my way I would have in my 28gal tank
2 clowns
1 pepermint shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp OR 3+ sexy shrimp
1 coral beauty angelfish
1 six line wrasse
1 or 2 gobies (yasha and yellow clown)
2 or 3 hermit crabs

Please help me find a good combination for my tank.

Current tank list:
2 perc clowns
1 peppermint shrimp
2 photosynthetic gorgonians
4 zoa frags
2 rics florida
3 dioscoma mushroom frags
4 rhodactus mushroom frags
Dragons tongue macro algae
unkown dark red macro algae

I personally would skip the Coral Beauty and the sexy shrimp and go for the cleaner shrimp instead. BTW, i'm finding more and more that most fish are jumpers...i'm not letting that dissuade me from getting them though, but I have plans for a mesh top ;) Sometimes this hobby is very frustrating.

skabooya
08-02-2010, 02:32 AM
Yea, talk about a mesh top. One of my clowns jumped today. I had 2 this morning and by the time it was 2pm I only had one. He was stuck to the side of my tank stand. :(
Im going to build a mesh top I just need to find a way to make a bunch of angles because it would need to fit around my skimmer and wires.
Ive read anything polypropaline is good for reef tanks.

skabooya
08-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Spiny: you must be lucky. Ive been reading a lot about six lines attacking inverts espically shrimp. Although i would really like to get one but i already have a peppermint.

Here are a few options please tell me what you think.
2 clowns
1 peppermint
1 skunk cleaner
1 shrimp goby
1 firefish
1 clown goby
2-3 hermits

2 clowns
1 peppermint
1 6 line wrasse
1 clown goby
1 firefish
1 shrimp goby

intarsiabox
08-02-2010, 03:08 AM
I have a 25g mixed reef with 2 clowns, 1 yellow watchman goby and 1 coral beauty. My coral beauty has never picked at any corals and isn't much of a swimmer unless it's feeding time. Usually he just drifts around the rocks looking for any food remanents. I have 2 peppermint shrimp in there as well and nobody in the tank bothers them. My CB is the most docile and well behaved fish in my tank but others have had complete terrors so its hit and miss.

Gizzy
08-09-2010, 02:20 AM
goby's jump and will fight with other bottom dwellers in a small tank, most likely with other goby's so one is your best bet. I have 2 cleaners and a pep but they have there own space, your best bet is to get 2 or three of the same species of shimp in a small tank. the fish all seem to be fine I would get a six line they are good in all the tanks I've seen. get as many snails and hermit crabs as you want.