PDA

View Full Version : What anemone is most likely to host true clowns?

spawn
07-31-2010, 04:10 AM
What is the best anemone to host a clown fish?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-31-2010, 05:04 AM
Magnifica anemones are one of the "best" hosting anemones IME. RBTAs have also been very good hosting anemones IME. By true clowns, I'm assuming you mean Perculas &/or Ocellaris.

Just set up a clownfish/anemone display species tank for my wife. 2' cube wtih 150w Aquaconnect 14000k pendant.

It's got 2 Sebae, 1 GBTA, 1 RBTA, & 1 Magnifica. I also added 6 Ocellaris yesterday and so far, they've hosted every anemone except the Sebae (the only anemones I had to buy of course).

Anthony

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-31-2010, 05:36 AM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/SeaHorse_Fanatic/July2010088.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/SeaHorse_Fanatic/July2010086.jpg

There are a Magnifica anemone (from my fowlr), a Green Bubbletip (from my reef), a Rose Bubbletip (from BC Mosaic), and 2 Sebae anemones (from King Ed's), as well as 6 Ocellaris clownfish (from King Ed's).

Hope you like.

Anthony

hound96
08-01-2010, 05:22 PM
i think the gbta is one of the easiest and both my clowns take turns in it , that is untill i get a second one

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Bubbletips tend to be a little easier to keep than Magnificas, but best to get a clone from someone's tank for highest survival rates. Other than the Sebaes, all mine are clones. I think I have 8 anemones altogether in 2 tanks. My main reef still has 3 GBTA clones, with 3 clowns hosting.

Anthony

hound96
08-01-2010, 05:35 PM
yeah i want mine to split but i'm not sure how to induce it

Nebthet
08-01-2010, 07:01 PM
I have a bta and a sebae, both really small in my tank and the only one that is hosting is the sebae to my smallest clownfish at night.

If you do choose to get a sebae though, don't get one that is yellow or white with purple tips as they have been dyed and bleached respectively and take a good amount of care to get back to their natural brown color, if they don't die in a few weeks.

04scoobysti
08-01-2010, 11:11 PM
The most prefered host for the true percula is the carpet anemone.
Clowns wont look once, let alone twice at a bubble tip if there is a carpet present.

viperfish
08-02-2010, 04:16 AM
The most prefered host for the true percula is the carpet anemone.
Clowns wont look once, let alone twice at a bubble tip if there is a carpet present.

Trouble with carpets is they get very large and will eat any fish that touches it (except clowns of course), mine even ate my Blue Spiny Lobster.

04scoobysti
08-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Trouble with carpets is they get very large and will eat any fish that touches it (except clowns of course), mine even ate my Blue Spiny Lobster.

Survival of the fittest in my tank, 14" carpet with 11 fish including 4 tangs. No casualties since i acquired the carpet a year ago. Maybe just lucky.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Survival of the fittest in my tank, 14" carpet with 11 fish including 4 tangs. No casualties since i acquired the carpet a year ago. Maybe just lucky.

Very lucky. A couple of board members I know who used to have carpet anemones have lost over a dozen fish each to the nems, including a very healthy, expensive Powder Blue tang. These were also very experienced reefers, not newbies.