PDA

View Full Version : BTA anenome turned white?!

Milad
07-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Ive been doing some searches and it saying my anemones are dieing? Out of no where one turned almost see threw white with hot pink tips. Then one that is close to it did the same. My GBTA is still green, hes on the other side of the tank.

Both the white ones are getting tons of lights and ive tried to feed them silver-sides once a week but they usually spit out most of it.

any idea why they are turning white? This started after i found out I should feed them (about the 3rd time i fed them).

they are under 150w MH about 14inches from the light (11inches of water). They are RBTAs

reefwars
07-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Wish I could kepp my halides 3" from the water lol:):)

Milad
07-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Wish I could kepp my halides 3" from the water lol:):)

are you being sarcastic? Mine are really 3-4" from the water
im considering the glass protector the start of the MH.

MitchM
07-29-2010, 11:10 PM
I've had white clones before and they lived on food only for a while.
Haven't had any turn white.

Have you had any temperature spikes or could they have received too much light at some time?

They usually like to find their own location, but if there are not many options (like different places to hide or rest) they could receive too much light and expel their algae.

Mitch

Milad
07-29-2010, 11:17 PM
I've had white clones before and they lived on food only for a while.
Haven't had any turn white.

Have you had any temperature spikes or could they have received too much light at some time?

They usually like to find their own location, but if there are not many options (like different places to hide or rest) they could receive too much light and expel their algae.

Mitch

nope, no big temperature changes
no light changes
i have it all controlled with a computer. (http://www.reeftronics.net/milad/apex-history)
only thing has changed which, which happened about 4 weeks ago is i finally was able to turn on one of the power heads that had been off for awhile.

MitchM
07-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Nice graphs. Gotta love controllers.

What are the graphs "AMPS 3 and 4"?

Mitch

reefwars
07-29-2010, 11:42 PM
are you being sarcastic? Mine are really 3-4" from the water
im considering the glass protector the start of the MH.

nope, mine are around 6-8"on my 110g and around 10" on my 33g i have a very warm house though but ive been told around 6-8 is fine:)

what kind of anemones are we talking about?? my gbta has been white since he was given to me, but he eats like a champ and looks healthy enough perhaps a varied diet would help with his colour??:)

reefwars
07-29-2010, 11:46 PM
sorry just noticed it says bta lol :):)

Milad
07-30-2010, 01:16 AM
Nice graphs. Gotta love controllers.

What are the graphs "AMPS 3 and 4"?

Mitch

amperage used by each power bar

MitchM
07-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Speaking of electricity, you said that you recently plugged in a powerhead.
Maybe it could be leaking some voltage.

Do you have a grounding probe on your tank?

Mitch

Milad
07-30-2010, 04:47 PM
They are connected to a gfci

MitchM
07-30-2010, 05:20 PM
As I understand it, a grounding probe works in conjunction with a GFCI. The grounding probe will tell the GFCI if there is any leaking voltage. Otherwise there is no ground for the stray voltage until you touch the water which may then provide the ground.
I use both a probe and a GFCI.

Mitch

Milad
07-30-2010, 08:13 PM
As I understand it, a grounding probe works in conjunction with a GFCI. The grounding probe will tell the GFCI if there is any leaking voltage. Otherwise there is no ground for the stray voltage until you touch the water which may then provide the ground.
I use both a probe and a GFCI.

Mitch

i heard using both probe and GFCI will kill you...
Why does everyone have conflicting messages!

i would also add the powerhead is a new tunze 6105 and i have faith its not broken.

MitchM
07-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Last time I checked I wasn't dead.

Mitch

MitchM
07-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Now watch some expert come on here and tell me I should be.

Mitch