PDA

View Full Version : after posting a very hot topic, here is the next one.!

aussiefishy
11-20-2003, 07:19 AM
if an individual try to build a livestock only operation, and start small, but maintain good animal husbandry and care, will reefer support and paid a little bit more, so this operation can grow?

just like canada infant hi-tech industry protection question (because they cannot relize economy of scale and not competitive at that stage.... should we throw subsidy to protect and help growth??

since the last topic turn into LFS bashing,... haha (this shows how bad you guys need for a good LFS) i just would like answers and explaination, also to what extend will you supportthe new "basement type operation"...
:question:
cheers!

Quinn
11-20-2003, 03:31 PM
The only basement operation I've ever seen was a safety hazard. I'd support one if they actually had sanitary facilities... but I'm not sure I like the whole basement idea at all. I'd feel like I was back in high school, "go to the back of the house and just come in", buying illicit substances from BC.

Delphinus
11-20-2003, 03:32 PM
Moving this to the main forum

Stretch
11-20-2003, 04:18 PM
I think a basement op would be a good place to start but you would need to take on a more professional look after awhile. People will find your place more easily if it next to other commerical properties. Plus i'm some people would feel uneasy about entering a stranger house, And there also the thought of your own security. You would have 10000's of dollars invest in equipment and livestock not too mention your other belonging in your home. Someone motivated enought could try an attempt to break into your home. They are alot of pro's and cons in this. But I would support this type of bussiness if they had what i whated, and weren't to overly priced.

spikehs
11-20-2003, 05:03 PM
like was said before, we did have a store like this, and i supported them fully, fish were always healthy and corals seemed it too, although there wasn't always the greatest selection of corals.

TANGOMAN
11-20-2003, 07:08 PM
"A feeling of uneasyness" as you enter a strangers home ? That sounds like the start of a falied business beginning right there ? If a business owner doesn't make an effort to welcome me and make me feel comfortable in their "store", my money goes elsewhere...there's a fine line I guess between the vulture-like, commision salesman at furniture stores and the one man aquarium store who rarely gives ya' the time of day when ya' walk in with a pocket full of gold. :wink: .
Home security is a huge issue ! So is cost of a security system and insurance. I'd imagine there's some licensing issues in terms of home occupation permits and what they allow you to do legally. Of course they'd never know if ya' never had one until ya' have a neighbour with nothin' better to do, or a LFS owner store who suspects you may be cutting into their piece of the pie. I'd imagine Revenue Canada might want you to help support their cause. Of course, they'd never know either until that bored neighbour phoned them after he talked to City Hall. They might even request that you collect some taxes for them....but only if ya' exceed $ 30,000.00 or something I'd guess.
Oh ya, I forgot. You'd need to get some livestock. You can call a bunch of wholesalers. They'd be happy to jepordize their bussiness relations in the same area with LFS's so they can sell much smaller volumes to a guy who claims to be running a business...I'd think they might wanna' see some licensing etc. Maybe not. I would think ya' might need to deal with several suppliers as variety would be beneficial 'cause ya' can't make a buck just sellin' Damsels for $ 3.25. Would that cover the cost of transport I wonder ? Maybe from a Canadian supplier. As abbundant as they are. I guess you could get 'em from the States but I'd imagine there's a few more pieces of paper involved that accompany them with less than favorable exchange rates...The local stores are also an option. They may give you a discount if ya' say your business is closly related but not directly. But then your just "pimpin' " out the same stuff that got ya' started on this whole idea.
What was the idea ? I went on a rant.
My sarcasm is all in fun. I love your idea. It's a topic very "close to home" and one which has occupied countless hours of my time as I suddendly faced the realization I needed to change careers. I've put a lot of time and money into this concept and if ya' wanna' play by the "rules", look into what a Home Occupation Permit entitles you to sell from your home. That is a roadblock you must overcome before you advane to the next one. You don't have to, but the "big players" will eventually hear about your business and I know it's happened in Calgary already, they'll knock ya' outa' the game. And in a way :confused: , I can respect why. They're playin' by the rules...is that equal opportunity, democracy ? I dunno'? It makes for a "level" playing field, and I believe that's o.k.

You like stirrin' it up don't ya' ? Oh well, I believe that's o.k. too. Sheesh. Are you Bob's kid or somethin'...? :lol:

Quinn
11-20-2003, 07:19 PM
Maybe some of you guys should get together and start a sort of LFS cooperative, like MEC, but with fish instead of ugly yellow jackets and kayaks.

spikehs
11-20-2003, 07:48 PM
well that would be well supported by this board, but if there is TOO many people involved, who's gonna be their main customers? :mrgreen:

rossb
11-20-2003, 10:58 PM
you wrote:
if an individual try to build a livestock only operation, and start small, but maintain good animal husbandry and care, will reefer support and paid a little bit more, so this operation can grow?

I'm thinking that most of the existing shops we are poking fun at..er commenting on started in this same manner. Someone with a love of fish that grew their hobby. Starts small, gets bigger, hires teens becomes a LFS and then...

should we throw subsidy to protect and help growth

On the topic of subsidy... nothing comes close to the efficiency of a frugal reefer when it comes to propagating anything that can be made, sold or traded. If you spend some time on this board you will realize that this collective group offers the best chance of growing the hobby and doing exactly what you want to do.

IMHO