PDA

View Full Version : Nano fish that swims in open, top half of tank?

lastlight
07-29-2010, 04:30 AM
As the title states I want an active small fish for my 34g cube to add some energy to the tank.

Any ideas? Current tankmates are a bicolor blenny that hides in his rock most of the day, a neon goby that perches, and 2 chromis that swim a fair amount but like to also hang out close to the rocks.

shrimpchips
07-29-2010, 04:32 AM
My sixline wrasse swims everywhere, as does my Potter's angel. Have you considered a dwarf angel for your tank?

Also a smaller flasher wrasse might be what you're looking for. Although, it would be nice to have a pair or trio, but you might be 'overstocked' then.

lastlight
07-29-2010, 04:46 AM
Guess I should mention tank is open top as well...

Dwarf angel would be nice but I don't think I could trust one with the sps. I'm def a coral before fish sort of reefer.

Skimmerking
07-29-2010, 04:55 AM
Ya there u go man a flame or a potters I may try a flame and a potters in the Lps tank of mine/

shrimpchips
07-29-2010, 05:04 AM
Ya there u go man afmae and a potters I may try a flame and a potters in the Los tank of minethat is like drinking napthap

Woa, back off the skimmer nog my friend!

Brett, the Potters is one of the 'safest' of the dwarves, being a detrius eater. It will occaisionally nip at corals, but doesn't really do much long term damage - it doesn't eat the polyps.

I have one in my reef, and there's LOTS of SPS in there. And trust me, I'm a SPS freak, and the last thing I'd want is a SPS eater. It nips here and there, but none of the corals are any worse for wear.

marie
07-29-2010, 05:07 AM
Woa, back off the skimmer nog my friend!

Brett, the Potters is one of the 'safest' of the dwarves, being a detrius eater. It will occaisionally nip at corals, but doesn't really do much long term damage - it doesn't eat the polyps.

I have one in my reef, and there's LOTS of SPS in there. And trust me, I'm a SPS freak, and the last thing I'd want is a SPS eater. It nips here and there, but none of the corals are any worse for wear.

Wrong....I have 2 potters and they not only eat polyps they chow down on the whole coral....so does my regal angel and my little black angel :lol:

lastlight
07-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Too risky!

Next? LOL. Come on it's payday for me tomorrow I want a fish!

Do bangaiis stay out in the open mostly?

Skimmerking
07-29-2010, 05:29 AM
yes Brett i was going to say the bangii's but I didnt think that you would like that type of fish its not active, however its always out.

marie
07-29-2010, 05:30 AM
Too risky!

Next? LOL. Come on it's payday for me tomorrow I want a fish!

Do bangaiis stay out in the open mostly?

The bangaiis I used to have just hung out in the same spot....near an overhang. I have a green chromis that hangs out in the open at the top of the tank (he killed off his buddies and he's the last one left)

Zoaelite
07-29-2010, 05:32 AM
Want some babies Brett? I have 7 that are about the size of a loonie and there eating like little piggies.

lastlight
07-29-2010, 05:34 AM
Bangaii babies? They're best kept singly are they not?

Yeah my 2 remaining chromis beat down the smaller of the trio. They're nasty little buggers.

Zoaelite
07-29-2010, 05:38 AM
At the size they are all 7 school together but when they are adult size they pair up. Chromisis are evil :evilbat:.

lastlight
07-29-2010, 05:40 AM
Is there any way you could choose out a male and female at this point or is it a crapshoot?

shrimpchips
07-29-2010, 06:02 AM
Bangaiis are nocturnal - during the day they just tend to hang out in a few spots.

Too bad about your Potters Marie - my little guy is well behaved. Probably because I keep him really fat - he's too rolly polly to nip at the TIPS of corals :D

Ross
07-29-2010, 02:40 PM
I have a 24" tall tank, and I dont think that my bangaii's have ever been up in the top 1/3 except for when I dropped them in.

They almost always are down near the substrate and next to the rockwork.

lastlight
07-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah that sounds about right based on what I've seen at the stores.

I think priority would go to a fish that actually swims during the day and isn't too skittish.

marie
07-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah that sounds about right based on what I've seen at the stores.

I think priority would go to a fish that actually swims during the day and isn't too skittish.

If you want a fish that swims get a cherub angel.....mined constantly zipped around the tank like he just drank a can of red bull, made me tired just watching him :lol:

lastlight
07-29-2010, 03:43 PM
And what would you rate the risk factor with that choice?

trinac
07-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Let me know what you decide to get, I want a fish like that too! haha

I am going to make my rounds at the stores today / tonight, I'll keep you posted if I see anything cool.

gobytron
07-29-2010, 05:02 PM
royal gramma.

intensely interactive fish....thats why I have 4.

Ross
07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
royal gramma.
intensely interactive fish....thats why I have 4.

Mine is constantly close to its "cave". Doesnt even venture far at feeding time.

gobytron
07-29-2010, 05:38 PM
they can be like that, depending on how safe they feel within your tank...

based on tankmates and how many accessible hiding spots are around.
Also, males a generally more adventurous than females.

marie
07-29-2010, 08:57 PM
And what would you rate the risk factor with that choice?

There is always a risk but mine was the only angel I have ever owned that didn't pick on corals and besides their mouths are tiny....how much damage could they do??:razz:

lastlight
07-29-2010, 09:08 PM
in my tiny as heck tank? lots!

As for the royal gramma...I bought one from Golds when I got the blenny. he ate so well for a week and i just up and found him dead one morning.

I actually DO have a second one in the tank right now. From same batch as the first but months later. so was at golds for months. Looked fine and boom after I added him he looked terrible hours later. He's hiding in the rocks and I have yet to see him swim. He looks to be doing better than day one when the current was somewhat carrying him.

All my other fish are doing rad. baffles me.

I'm ready to go back to an orchid dottyback if this guy doesn't make it. beginner fish...not sure wth is up with these things in my tank.