PDA

View Full Version : SWC Skimmer Question

intarsiabox
07-28-2010, 12:47 AM
I think I've narrowed down my choice of skimmers in my price range. I am looking at the SWC Xtreme 200 or the Xtreme 160 Cone skimmer. The question I have is that the 200 has the Sicce PSK-2500 pump on it and the cone skimmer uses an Atman pump, does the cone design make up for the cheaper pump or would I be better off getting the 200 model with the better pump? The price difference is neglagible but each one is a different design. I'm leaning towards the Xtreme 200 model but if someone has any input I'd love to hear it. My tank will be a 90g w/40g sump mostly SPS and some LPS.

lenzh
07-28-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm very happy with my 200. Others may have comments about cone vs. cylinder, but my opinion is that the Sicce pump is much better than the Atman, especially if you use the mesh wheel (which requires more maintenance).

I am running a light to moderately stocked 180 gal with this skimmer and it keeps up nicely, but I suspect it is right at the limit. Make sure you have enough room for the 200. I was not quite ready for how big it was. It's a pretty tight fit into my sump.

pterfloth
07-28-2010, 03:59 AM
I had a SWC 200 for over a year on my 200 SPS tank. Liked it so much I upgraded to the SWC 250. For the money, the Sicce pump is great value and gets great airflow, though they can be balky to start with the mesh mod. I use the needlewheel.

Skimmerking
07-28-2010, 04:28 AM
The sicci pump ime and IMO aren't that great the shafts are not that good they tend to crack and break. The help at first to get them started is from the mesh mod to much on them and they tend to loose. nd cause the pump to work premature. The atma pump is a very good pump and I would say if you are looking to get a skimmer think a out the bubble magus skimmers they have some pretty good. Skimmers there they have the world's great whisk pump the 1260,1262 models in there skimmmers same as the deltec models use.

If it was me I would be going with the ehiem pump