PDA

View Full Version : cutting glass with tile cutter diamond blade

Chin_Lee
11-20-2003, 03:26 AM
Just wonder ............ have anybody ever tried cutting glass with a tile cutter that has a diamond blade? :eek:

Delphinus
11-20-2003, 03:30 AM
I think you can get a glass cutter for like $7 at Rona or Home Depot which the same basic idea, kind of like a diamond wheel on a pen or something. You score a line, then snap the glass and theoretically the glass will break following the score line.

.... and one day I might actually get that to work. Most of the time the glass just breaks in a completely random line of my score line. :rolleyes: I think I can DIY, but I really can't. :lol:

Chin_Lee
11-20-2003, 04:09 AM
the glass i'm looking to get from brad is 1/2 inch thick and 3.5" wide. I just need to cut it to the length I need

SuperFudge
11-20-2003, 04:11 AM
The secret is to use oil on your cutter....and to only score once!

If there is a spot that didnt score, just go over that spot again, not the entire cut.

And back support the largest peice along the break line.

And in reality most of the $7 glass cutters should only be used for about 10' of cuts, then turf it for a new one.

Tile cutters will work just aswell and give you a square cut....but i believe the largest ones will only carry up to an 18" tile....so that blows it all unless your planning on a nano.

:mrgreen:

Delphinus
11-20-2003, 04:13 AM
Ohhhh. Yeah I don't think scoring a line will work real well on 1/2" glass. Sorry my bad.

Can you take it to a glass shop and have them cut it (or grind it, or whatever it is that they do to glass that thick)?

Scavenger
11-20-2003, 04:15 AM
I think you can get a glass cutter for like $7 at Rona or Home Depot which the same basic idea, kind of like a diamond wheel on a pen or something. You score a line, then snap the glass and theoretically the glass will break following the score line.

.... and one day I might actually get that to work. Most of the time the glass just breaks in a completely random line of my score line. :rolleyes: I think I can DIY, but I really can't. :lol:

Accually is quite easy. I worked part time cutting glass back in high school. The trick is to score it very lightly, just enough to have a continuous score line. Always dip your cutter in oil first. If you have lots of dusty particals during the score, you are putting out way too much pressure, if the line skips places, you may be slightly too light or not constant with pressure. Always break the score line IMEDIATELY after finishing. Do not let it rest at all. If you are scoring under 6" from the edge or so (depending on glass thickness) You may need some glass plyers to make the break. The best thing to do is get some scrap glass and practice.

kari
11-20-2003, 04:15 AM
I don't claim to an expert glass cutter but back in the flinstone days I had some experience with it. The cheap cutters usually create too rough of a score and the glass breaks unperdictably. We used a pen type oil cutter. Rather pricey tool though. Salvage glass was also more difficult then new glass. I also remember not to try flip a 8' long 1/4" thick sheet of glass over with two people again.

My opinion... I wouldn't try the tile cutter.

kari
11-20-2003, 04:22 AM
Boy do I look dumb being at the tail end of everybody posting at the same time :eek:

Chin_Lee
12-06-2003, 04:53 AM
For everybody's info, I was able to cut 1/2" glass that was 3.5" wide successfully (and very easily) with a tile cutter that had a diamond saw blade (standard on most tile cutters). Each piece only took about 20-30 seconds. :lol: