PDA

View Full Version : sump size for 220g tank

othicx
07-27-2010, 01:18 AM
I havn't been able to find a good guide for this so i'll just ask...What size sump should i have for a 220g tank?

xtreme
07-27-2010, 01:45 AM
I would go as big as you can fit/afford. The bigger the sump the better. More water volume means a more stable system, more space for skimmers, reactors, heaters etc. I have seen some tanks where the sump is actually bigger than the display.

More water does have a down side though, it will cost more for salt and electricity to heat/chill the water. But to me the benefits of a larger volume sump outweigh the disadvantages.

Milad
07-27-2010, 02:00 AM
go big, even if you can get it bigger than your display. I have a 70g under my 180g and im still drawing out plans to build a shed and have a massive 300g or something setup for my sump. ive ran out of space and i cant even put my reactor in with my 70 but then again i got tons of live rock so its filling up my sump.

othicx
07-27-2010, 02:40 AM
i have been talking to a guy about getting a 45g sump, that would be ok for a start right? Due to the fact that i have to get live rock, lights, heaters, skimmer, sump ect. the money will be spread a bit thin so 45g should work right?

Milad
07-27-2010, 03:10 AM
to small, bigger!! trust me, plus bigger shouldnt cost you much more.

Mandosh
07-27-2010, 04:12 AM
I use a 40g sump on my 75g and I wish I had more space. Just build your own. Cheap second hand tank and a couple pieces of glass is all you need. Plus that way you can design it the way you want.

othicx
07-27-2010, 08:47 PM
I do realize that bigger is better and I will get one that is as big as I can fit. But that may take a while to save that extra money. So I guess what my question should have been was, will a 45g sump work for now? Oh and I'm looking at a used sump so if anyone has a used one that is bigger by all means let me know cuz I might take it haha:)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
My preference would be at least a 75g sump (4' x 18" footprint) to give you a decent area and volume to work with. Sumps are a PITA to remove and install so I highly recommend doing it once and leaving it, rather than think "I'll upgrade in the future". The thought of redoing all the plumbing, pulling out a dirty, stinky sump covered in saltspray & other nasties will turn most people off from fulfilling these upgrade intentions.

Parker
07-27-2010, 09:17 PM
I have a 75 gallon under my 265, works fine for me. What ever sump you use make sure it can handle the back flow from the tank in the event of a power outage.

Newbies
07-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Yes a 45 will work as a sump you will just NOT have the room to place xtra rock and or have a refugium built in as your filter bag/media, skimmer and pump will most likely fill up all avaialable real estate once you put baffles in to reduce unsightly bubbles in the main display. This would be a fine start up tank but make sure to have the room to add an extra tank or two into the sump system later VIA bulkheads drilled into the first sump right off the hop(make sure when the 45g is first built you have these drilled and plumbed with bulkheads as you will not want to drill them later) so as to be able to later daisey chain into the setup a refuigium/ extra rock chambers and room for say a reactor or two as we all start with JUST a simple tank in mind but get bored and want bigger and better VERY SOON. This is just my humble opinion nad you must do what is AFFORDABLE and right for you and your needs....... That being said I have a 245g display with a 180g sump and I'm already looking at needing a LOT more sump room as my current foot print is two small for the new calcium reactor and NP reactor i'm getting soon and 3 skimmers Im currently running and still have room for the refugium and extra live rock I do not want in my display tank..... So I most definelty agree with all the other comments BIGGER IS BETTER
________
green crack pictures (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/green-crack)

Aquattro
07-27-2010, 10:07 PM
I would go with at least a 75, and these, in sump condition (scratches,etc) can usually be found cheap.