PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Identification

paddyob
07-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Anyone know if all condylactis have red trunk?

I bought a white purple tipped "long tentacle" but I cannot find anything on them.... everything leads me to condys.

Is there anyway to know for sure?

This anemone has a white trunk and white tentacles... purple tips.

Lance
07-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Anyone know if all condylactis have red trunk?

I bought a white purple tipped "long tentacle" but I cannot find anything on them.... everything leads me to condys.

Is there anyway to know for sure?

This anemone has a white trunk and white tentacles... purple tips.

Delphinus will know. He's the resident nem expert on here.

paddyob
07-26-2010, 12:22 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=124&pictureid=3417

This is mine.

bvlester
07-26-2010, 02:13 AM
I have one of those I also had a condylactis they are not the same they are cousins It is a LTA much more docile than condylactis. Once your Nem finds a place it likes it should stay there as long as the water flow is not to much and it is getting food. Just give it some raw shrimp once a week half will do. Since mine has bee under MH it has turned a nice green color with pink to purple tips. My clowns have no interest in it so if it ever comes off the rock it's on I will be selling it I have had it for over 10 months. It has not eaten and fish but it did have a war with a monti digita the digita tore a tentacle off the Nem when I separated them as the digita was getting stung pretty badly.

Bill

Delphinus
07-26-2010, 06:05 AM
It does look a little like a condy but it does have a passing resemblance to what I imagine a small LTA would like too. What does the base look like? Does it have large white dots (verrucae) on the column? If so it could be an LTA. If it's a smooth texture with uniform colour then it could be a condy.

I'm not sure if all condy's have a red base. For that matter though sometimes LTA's will have a red base. But I think LTA's have noticeable verrucae on the column so look for those.

Hope this helps. :)

paddyob
07-26-2010, 01:06 PM
The base appears smooth and since it is all white not sure i could see spots...

Delphinus
07-26-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm thinking condylactis then.

Here's a quick picture I just found that shows the white spots (verrucae) I was mentioning..
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?cid=74&did=2&pid=1075

paddyob
07-27-2010, 12:31 AM
So after consulting with someone whose knowledge I trust.... it appears this is almost certainly a condy.

Not too happy cause if it is a condy... I way over paid at $30... only $20-25 IN STORES.

I am waiting to hear back from the canreef member who sold it to me.

bvlester
07-27-2010, 03:08 AM
Here is what I can say it is a cousin to the condy I have one of these in my tank and I had a condy at the same time they look similar but they are different a condy has tentacles that are long and tapered not long and concentric like in the pictures you provided. I returned my condy as it was hunting down my Gobi's had to return him and got a green BTA for less than what I paid for the condy which was $25. my cleaner shrimp goes right onto my pink tip Nem. The condy he tried to catch the cleaner shrimp he did get away and survived the encounter.

Bill

paddyob
07-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Some cleaner shrimp and crabs will host to Condys.

paddyob
07-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Some cleaner shrimp and crabs will host to Condys.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reef/anemones/CondyAnemone.php

" The Condylactis Anemones use their venomous cells, the nematocyst found in their tentacles, to sting their prey and to deflect any attacks. In general, this anemone is more like a predatory anemone and will move all over the tank. As this anemone does it fish, it is risky to allow it to host a Clown Fish, especially since Clownfish are not found in the Western Atlantic Ocean. However this anemone does have a really interesting symbiotic relationship with Cardinalfish, Cleaner Shrimp (the Atlantic specimens), Arrow Crabs and Emerald Crabs. Just give these tank mates a little time to acclimate and you've got best friends for life."