PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor

Scales
11-19-2003, 11:24 PM
It is calcium reactor time. I have researched DIY plans and am considering this option. I am looking for feedback/stories/opinions from those who have built (or attempted) a reactor: the amount of time invested, cost, difficulties/surprises, ease of operation. Do you still feel it was worth it to DIY...would you do it again or simply purchase a reactor and spare yourself any problems encountered?

Thanks.

Stretch
11-20-2003, 12:12 AM
Canadian Man would know this area quite well.

However when i buy a calcium reactor, I will buy one since i think i will be easier for myself. I would probably spend more a materials and tools then buying one. Most of the time my first DIY results don't turn out too well :lol:

Quinn
11-20-2003, 12:19 AM
Quite frankly for the amount of money these things sell for in stores, I say build your own or at least find someone to build one for you. I'm not much of a DIYer so I bought mine from Canadian Man, and originally found it highly perplexing. However after playing with it, I realize that these things are deceptively simple.

ree-fready
11-20-2003, 04:42 AM
talk to wendell as well

Canadian Man
11-20-2003, 05:23 AM
Thanks Guys.
Yes, as it's been said. Working with acrylic can be very easy. If you want to tackle it then build your own. Otherwise I'm sure you can find someone to build one for you in your area.

My recent contraption is a copy of DJ88's reactor design. He has posted it on here a while back and on RC as well. Mine is just MUCH BIGGER :cool:It's the Square design that I'm sure if you have done some research you have come across it on here or RC.

As Quinn said the whole idea can be quite overwhelming. After a bit of research and basic understanding of what's going on and what has to happen you can make any design work well.

cheers

StirCrazy
11-20-2003, 01:09 PM
My recent contraption is a copy of DJ88's reactor design. He has posted it on here a while back and on RC as well. Mine is just MUCH BIGGER :cool:It's the Square design that I'm sure if you have done some research you have come across it on here or RC.

cheers

now that you have run both does it maintain you levels any better than the last? or was it simpaly cheeper to build as you didn;t have to buy tubing?

Steve

Canadian Man
11-20-2003, 05:51 PM

cheers

now that you have run both does it maintain you levels any better than the last? or was it simpaly cheeper to build as you didn;t have to buy tubing?

Steve

It seems to be keeping the levels up a bit easier Steve. I assume this is because of over double the media capacity as well as the design.
I am currently running at a co2 rate of 140 bpm and 60ml/min of output. Reactor ph is 6.75.

I think at the size I built this thing it actually works out to be more expensive if I had to buy all the pieces. The top flange is so huge that it takes a large piece of Thick acrylic. Tony and I actually did out lower part of the flange in 4 separate pieces which worked well.

The only reason this was cheep for me to build is because I got the body acrylic for the reactor from my shop from an old store display :cool:

Son Of Skyline
11-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Here's a pretty good site on building and using a calcium reactor. Personally I'd rather look around for a used reactor, but that's just me.

Good luck!

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/mar/features/2/default.asp

BCOrchidGuy
12-03-2003, 04:55 PM
I built one for my 90 gallon reef that was a take off of one of the ones Canadian man built. It worked well. I wanted to keep things compact so I did modify it a bit. I found the hard part was sealing the top where the lid comes off, other than that it was a breeze, just took a few days and a few $$.

Doug

Scales
12-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

Mason, that was a great link and I will take a shot at building one soon.

Cheers.