PDA

View Full Version : drilling and over flow boxes

othicx
07-25-2010, 05:35 AM
is there anyone here in Red Deer that knows how to drill tanks and make overflow boxes? Also can anyone help me make a sump setup? I'm new to SW and i have no idea on how to build a sump. Anyway my tank is a 220 Gallon and all i have right now is the tank and stand. so I'm wanting as much help as i can to setup a sump for a cheap as i can without loosing quality. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Llamarama
08-09-2010, 04:30 PM
sorry can't help you but let me kow if you find anyone who knows....I have a 90 I need to drill and build a sump for...maybe we can help each other! haha

NanoHuman
08-09-2010, 05:22 PM
It is easy to drill your own tank if you have the nerve for it. Go to the home depot and buy a diamond coated hole saw (they are expensive) or you can use a dremel and a diamond coated cutter (the hole will not be as perfect doing it this way).

I purchased my overflow box from http://www.glass-holes.com/

They do very good work and have guides on their site regarding drilling your tank.

Coventina
01-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Have you drilled your tank yet? I have a kit from gl*******s and plan to do it in the next few weeks. Just wondering if there are any tips since the last post?

Cal_stir
01-26-2011, 01:06 AM
google drilling aquarium tank, there's alot of videos, i've done it many times.
use a drill with an adjustable clutch, set very low in case the saw binds.
DON'T drill tempered panels, they will shatter.
go slow

othicx
01-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Haha ya it has been drilled for quite a while, thanks though. I actually had help with it so it turned out nice, it wasn't hard you just have to take your time with it and it should be ok. You just want to make sure your glass isn't tempered

The Grizz
01-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Have you drilled your tank yet? I have a kit from gl*******s and plan to do it in the next few weeks. Just wondering if there are any tips since the last post?

Yes I have drill out his tank and his advise would be have someone who has done it before drill so you can see how it done :lol:

The Grizz
01-26-2011, 01:23 AM
it wasn't hard

I glad you think it wasn't hard :razz:

Coventina
01-26-2011, 01:37 AM
Wow guys I feel way better now. Lol

The Grizz
01-26-2011, 01:43 AM
Wow guys I feel way better now. Lol

Are you sure :twised:

Ultimatom
01-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi guys ! Im new to this hobby , got my self a 55g tank and im in the process of building the stand. Im prolly gonna diy the sump and the overflow system too. I wanted to go with a bean animal type of overflow but i dont know where to get the box of the overflow here in red deer. Ive look at the link someone posted up here but those box are way too expensive and from what ive seen they're not bean animal systems. Any suggestions ?

The Grizz
01-21-2012, 04:58 PM
You pretty much have to go to Calgary / Edmonton to get any good acrylic or even glass at a good price. Unless you know someone in the area that can drill out the tank & build your OF for ya.

Ultimatom
01-21-2012, 05:08 PM
I was gonna drill the aquarium myself , even thou scary for a beginner, i think i can make it. I got the plans for the pipes and everything but i kinda just wanted the box itself.

The Grizz
01-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Post a pic or link of the box you think was to expensive so I can figure out what your talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimatom
01-21-2012, 07:36 PM
http://www.glass-holes.com/1500-gph-Overflow-Box-gh1500.htm
kinda like that. Doesnt need to have the teeth as i can prolly do that myself.
http://www.beananimal.com/media/4054/back-wide_500x375.jpg

The Grizz
01-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Ok gotcha now, well the first thing I would do here is get 2 pieces of glass to build the box. Then get some 1/8" black acrylic, cut in the teeth an silicone it to the glass. This is an overflow I am building for a friend right now in his cube. Just need to add the acrylic.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/c1c060a5.jpg

Nano
01-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Ok gotcha now, well the first thing I would do here is get 2 pieces of glass to build the box. Then get some 1/8" black acrylic, cut in the teeth an silicone it to the glass. This is an overflow I am building for a friend right now in his cube. Just need to add the acrylic.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/c1c060a5.jpg

He called me a friend ;) jk
Looking good Greg

Ultimatom
01-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Sweet! Are the holes for bulkheads at the bottom of the tank? Is this what they call a vertical overflow? where do you get your glass and black acrylic in red deer?

The Grizz
01-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Correct this is a vertical overflow with 1 - 1" bulkhead holes in the bottom, one for a Durso drain, the other for a return.

I dont get glass or acrylic here in Red Deer. Glass shops here are way overpriced, I usually have scarp glass in my shop and just cut it myself or get it in Edmonton from a buddy who owns a glass shop. The acrylic I get at Sabic in Calgary, bought a full 4' x 8' sheet of 3/16" black a while ago just to have some extra around after I finish my coast to coast overflow for my 300 gal. I could probably cut you a couple strips out of it cheaper they you going to Calgary to get it.

Ultimatom
01-21-2012, 10:24 PM
that would be awesome:biggrin: ! Im a bit on the fence about the teeth thing thou. I see some ppl dont use them (like on the pic i posted) and some do. I'm under the impression that it would create noise. Am i wrong? Id love to see ur set up or at least how you did your ctc overflow. Did you use the bean animal method?

The Grizz
01-21-2012, 11:04 PM
You really need teeth on overflows because any small fish that gets to close will be in your overflow or sump constantly. They don't create any noise, the noise comes from the water level in your overflow. I have not built my 300 yet, just haven't had time yet. Not sure what I am going to do yet for my plumbing.

Ultimatom
01-23-2012, 03:03 PM
I changed my mind about the whole thing.. im bringing back the tank i got and will buy a predrilled with corner overflow in it . It's cheaper and i really didnt need the lights ,heater and stuff that was coming in that "kit" i got. I'll chip in 20$ and I'll get that 55g with a 30g tank to build my sump. Would you advice me to drill the sump for the return line and get an external pump or just run a pump in the sump?

The Grizz
01-23-2012, 03:58 PM
That sounds like a good plan, as for return pumps the submersible pumps are good and are reasonably priced. It depends on how much flow you want in the tank from your return. they do have there down side though, some pump can create alot of heat and depending on if you are going to run any media reactors with smaller submersible pumps they might raise the temp in your tank. Just for an example I have a total of 6 pumps running my 165 gal, 3 of each internal and external and my heater has never been on in almost 2 yrs, I actually have to run a chiller.