PDA

View Full Version : Need AEFW Help

pterfloth
07-25-2010, 04:49 AM
I have been battling AEFW for several months. I have a 200 gal tank filled to the brim with acro-SPS and many exceptional colonies. I have been removing and dipping smaller colonies in Coral RX weekly for several months, but the AEFW keep coming back. I have several enormous colonies encrusted onto rock that are impossible to remove and these are now starting to become infested.

I have tried to add wrasses but they keep carpet surfing and I need an open top because I used fans to cool the 1468 watts of lighting.

I have 2 spare 30 gallon tanks I can use for quarantine but they will not hold all of my acros.

Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated.

NOTE: Please dip ALL of your coral purchases. I got my AEFW from a reputable LFS, so don't trust them to look after you.

tang daddy
07-25-2010, 06:01 AM
Peter I am sorry to hear about your misfortune, we have all kept sps and one time or another run into these pesky buggers.... I have talked to a few friends that have had some success.

I mostly dip my sps in revive, they sell it at most lfs and another thing if you cant remove them because of the larger rocks use a strong powerhead or turkey baster and blast them into the water coloumn where fish can pick them off or get filtered out.

Have you tried a melanarus wrasse? mine is a insane hunter and eats any moving spec also the yellow canary wrasse is a good choice and they don't usually jump...

good luck on your battle, please keep us updated!

Aquattro
07-25-2010, 06:23 AM
At this point I'd cover the top with egg crate and add the leopard wrasse. Angle the fans more to compensate for the grating.

Sebae again
07-25-2010, 06:34 AM
I say to set up another tank and dip and scrape off every egg. If you don't get them all they will just multiply and you will fight this battle till you have nothing left. Best of luck. ( I've been there done that)

Aquattro
07-25-2010, 06:38 AM
A 200g filled to the brim with SPS, you'll never dip and scrap your way out of that. You really need long term predation, and I hear the wrasses are best at this.
Also keep in mind that large colonies can RTN if moved out of their special spot. They get very used to flow and lighting, and are extra sensitive to being moved.

Jason McK
07-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Pat WOW sorry to hear.

I'd do what Brad has suggested and egg create the top and ge a wrasse to work

J

reeferious
07-25-2010, 07:35 AM
i like firefish and various wrasses in my tank but they have annoying habit of going carpet surfings. Erecting a 4 inch high plexiglass perimeter wall around tank edge seem to have curbed these fishs' suicidal urge.

Sebae again
07-25-2010, 07:48 AM
My wrasses helped in the fight but didn't eliminate them.

PoonTang
07-25-2010, 09:27 PM
You could also try building a top out of bird netting and a aluminum window screen frame if you are worried tha egg crate will obstruct the airflow too much.

Madreefer
07-25-2010, 11:33 PM
You could also try building a top out of bird netting and a aluminum window screen frame if you are worried tha egg crate will obstruct the airflow too much.

Yeah like this, works good.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/top002.jpghttp://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/top001.jpg

gobytron
07-26-2010, 02:01 PM
A 200g filled to the brim with SPS, you'll never dip and scrap your way out of that. You really need long term predation, and I hear the wrasses are best at this.
Also keep in mind that large colonies can RTN if moved out of their special spot. They get very used to flow and lighting, and are extra sensitive to being moved.

really?

Thats a nice info tidbit.

Aquattro
07-26-2010, 02:34 PM
really?

Thats a nice info tidbit.

Ya, unfortunately I found that out the hard way with a 16" solomon islands pink milli :)

gobytron
07-26-2010, 02:37 PM
I may have also learned this in the past...

without knowing wha I was learning of course...