PDA

View Full Version : is this ich?

Milad
07-24-2010, 07:04 PM
So i just got this purple tang and today i noticed a ton of white spots on his right side. left side doesnt have anything
hes eating like crazy still swiming around and hes not rubbing against rocks or sand.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Livestock/2010-07-24/007.JPG

naesco
07-24-2010, 07:14 PM
So i just got this purple tang and today i noticed a ton of white spots on his right side. left side doesnt have anything
hes eating like crazy still swiming around and hes not rubbing against rocks or sand.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Livestock/2010-07-24/007.JPG

If the spots look like salt like specks it is ich.

Do you know what to do.

Milad
07-24-2010, 07:40 PM
they dont really look like salt specks, they are huge and they look flat, like they arent outside his body it doesnt seem.

and im almost positive they appeared within a couple hours period because when i first saw him this morning, there was nothing there. went to get my hair cut, came back and hes covered in it.

ive been feeding garlic extreme soaked pellets to him last few days. i dont have a QT to put him in.

Milad
07-24-2010, 07:55 PM
well this is weird,

i looked at marine velvet symptoms and ich symptoms and hes not showing anything.
the closest thing it looks like is ich dots but it doesnt even look like the pictures ive seen on the net.

edikpok
07-24-2010, 07:57 PM
I am not sure but from the photo these dots seem to be slightly too big to be ich...and the tail does not seem to have it either

naesco
07-24-2010, 08:55 PM
ich looks like specks of hard salt.
If you look closely would you say it is more small cottony looking things?
Look sideways down the tang.

Milad
07-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes cotton over salt

naesco
07-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Yes cotton over salt

You need to set up a QT. 10 gallons is fine.
If you do not have prepared saltwater use the tank water.
Make sure the water is the same in the QT as the tank. salinity, Ph and temperature.
Purchase a product call Mardel Maroxy for Saltwater. Phone the lfs first before you go.
Follow the directions to a tee and do not use carbon in the QT

Without observing the fish it is possible that the fish had ich at some stage before you bought it, was treated leaving tiny 'sores' where the ich was once attached. The damaged skin attracted a fungal bacteria which is what you see.

Obsere the fish to see if the the cotton is gone is one or two days.

Continue feeding your fish garlic extreme soaked dry foods, feed only garlic soaked foods and overfeed including the fish in the QT
Good Luck

kien
07-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Could be skin flukes. Do a search for that.

naesco
07-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Could be skin flukes. Do a search for that.

Could be as well.
By carefully observation Milad should be able to see if the spots are moving.

bvlester
07-25-2010, 04:56 AM
easy way to find out if it is flukes of any kind do a fresh water dip the flukes will come off as they will explode kind of in the fresh water there body can not adjust to the water change. they will either float on the top or sink to the bottom depending when you look for them. If they have just come off the fish they tend to float for a few seconds and then drop to the bottom remove the fish and place in a container with salt water in it to let the fish get rid of any of the flukes that died in his gills. if they are open sores then you can use melifix to help the fish heal. I have used it and it helps.

BIll

Albertan22
07-25-2010, 05:42 AM
Remember that a quarantine tank doesn't necessarily have to be an aquarium. You can use a rubbermaid tub or anything else that will hold water if you don't have the cash or space to set up another aqarium. Of course, the advantage in using an aquarium is that you can observe the fish a lot easier, but anything that will hold water and is fish safe should do in an emergency.

Milad
07-25-2010, 05:45 AM
ok this is weird
i went to a bbq after i posted my last message, im home now, fish has no dots on him
but hes got a dark thick line now on both side

he also looks fuzzy

Milad
07-25-2010, 05:54 AM
actually nevermind, nothing is on him at all, doesnt even look fuzzy. no dark line
it looked that way because i was looking at him under moonlights

so what was this all about? he looks perfectly normal now.