PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone run Maxspect or Key led lighting

naesco
07-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Has anyone ordered in the new LED lighting available from either Maxspect or Key?
Thanks
Wayne

trilinearmipmap
07-25-2010, 06:36 AM
I have the 110 watt G2 Maxspect light. I have it over a 30 gallon LPS/anemone cube. I've had it for about 2 or 3 months.

I am quite happy with it.

1. Easy to set up (except timer instructions are very confusing).

2. Silent fans - can't hear them unless you are a foot or so away.

3. Light is more than enough for LPS and BTA's on the bottom of the tank. For SPS I would probably go with the the 160 watt unit though, but really for an SPS LED tank you would want the Aquaillumination lights.

4. The build quality seems good and solid.

5. Good light spread, no spotlighting effect and no light spillage either, the whole area of my cube is covered by this light.

I ordered the lights from Fish Street dot com. The packaging was well done.

Considering the low price of these lights compared to other LED lighting systems, I recommend them. For me it was a good way to get into LED lights without spending a fortune. Now I am looking at getting the Aquaillumination lights for my 120 gallon tank.

naesco
07-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks for replying to my post.
I have a 120
Why would you not consider Maxspect or Key lighting for your new 120 gallon.?
Do yuo like the colour of light provided.?
Is it on the yellowish or bluish side?
Does the blue make some coral sparlkle?

Anyone else running these lights. Thanks

trilinearmipmap
07-25-2010, 07:55 PM
I'll be upgrading my T5 Tek light as the 120 is going more hardcore SPS.

I would expect the Maxpect G2 160 watt could easily grow Montiporas. It might be able to support more difficult SPS but I am doubtful how well it would do this. For an upgrade to a full SPS tank I want the best lights, that would be the Aquaillumination, or alternatively a Powermodule, I am still thinking this out.

I like the colour rendition. I don't have a reference point to say how the colour looks, I would just say that colours look realistic and neither too blue nor too yellow. As far as sparkling, I can't say.

dragoneggs
08-02-2010, 08:01 PM
I have two G2 160w on my Elos 160XL tank. They are plenty strong for SPS. I bleached my monti caps that are about 6in below the surface and now run the 30w whites for only a couple hours a day. Great lights!!! I am using the brackets so the lights are only about 4in from surface.

naesco
08-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Are you guys getting a yellowish or whitish colour when the lights are on?
When the blue lights are on in the evening are you getting a stunning florescent effect?
Thanks

trilinearmipmap
08-03-2010, 07:18 PM
The colour looks neutral to me when all the lights are on. Not yellowish, not bluish, just right. The blue moonlights illuminate things dimly. There is no stunning fluorescent effect at night.

naesco
08-03-2010, 08:28 PM
The colour looks neutral to me when all the lights are on. Not yellowish, not bluish, just right. The blue moonlights illuminate things dimly. There is no stunning fluorescent effect at night.

Not the moonlights. Can you operate the white and violet/blue lights separately? If so, what does the blue look like. Thanks

dragoneggs
08-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Are you guys getting a yellowish or whitish colour when the lights are on?
When the blue lights are on in the evening are you getting a stunning florescent effect?
Thanks

I have the Semi-LED version (most popular). I have seen the Cree version a little more PAR but more yellowish with whites on. I prefer the more white/blue look. The blues definitely make it 'pop' in the evening. My frogspawn is unbelievable. Difficult to post picture that really shows the flourescence but trust me. You will like the color!

dragoneggs
08-03-2010, 09:16 PM

With just the violet (moonlights) I agree, but with blues on... definitely yes!

dragoneggs
08-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Not the moonlights. Can you operate the white and violet/blue lights separately? If so, what does the blue look like. Thanks

Just to be clear... on the 160w version you can turn on/off the 30w whites, 3w whites, and 3w blues independently. The violet moonlights are always on. For the 110w you have same control but no 30w whites are included.

naesco
08-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Just to be clear... on the 160w version you can turn on/off the 30w whites, 3w whites, and 3w blues independently. The violet moonlights are always on. For the 110w you have same control but no 30w whites are included.

Thanks for clarifying that. What does it look like with just the 3w blues on?

Skimmerking
08-04-2010, 01:04 AM
I can't see how 160 w of LEDs are going to sustain SPS thats half if that over the tank 500 w over a 120 gal
so you are getting half of a 250 w bulbs spread over the 4x2x2 I cant see that being enough

dragoneggs
08-04-2010, 10:40 PM

Blue!!! I would post a picture but it doesn't do it justice. The florescent greens are amazing! I will attempt to post a pic or two ASAP.

dragoneggs
08-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I can't see how 160 w of LEDs are going to sustain SPS thats half if that over the tank 500 w over a 120 gal
so you are getting half of a 250 w bulbs spread over the 4x2x2 I cant see that being enough

One thing to remember is that the LED is incredibly efficient. The MHs emit quite a bit of heat as well as light. With LEDs there is virtually no loss energy in heat therefore less wattage is required for similar light output.

I know my 160W LED blinds me when all bulbs on. It does rival a 250W easily. Hard to believe but once you see it in person you will become a believer.

naesco
08-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the information guys.