PDA

View Full Version : Split drain or split return?

scherzo
07-24-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm just about to start plumbing my 90 gallon over a 75 gallon sump.

My 90 has a 600 GPH drain and I'll be running a MAG 12.

I'm planning on splitting my returns and I calculated that I should be running about 500 GPH up to the tank.

Now my question.

Split drain (1 - Refugium / 2 - Skimmer Section)
Split return (1 - Refugium / 2 - return to tank)

Both will have valves to control the amount of flow.

Any drawbacks or benefits of each?

Thanks
-Jeff

schroeder
07-24-2010, 08:33 AM
The design recommendation that i heard suggests having all of your drain run into the skimmer section, and have your skimmer pump output should be the same as the return flow to the tank.
(ie: if after plumbing losses, you return 300GPH then you skimmer pump should move at least 300GPH)

So I guess split return would be the easiest to do, but ideally I would have the water run from the skimmer section, into the refugium, then run to the return section.

This wouldn't work well for all sump designs, because of the high flow through the refugium...
...I'm trying to find the sump design on RC, but the page isn't loading :(

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Change your pump. The Mag12 is notorious for its heat production. My friend's Mag12 will raise a 50g barrel of water change water to over 90F overnight.

For that size tank, a Mag7 or Mag9 (or equivalent pump) would be plenty.

If you want to test it out, fill a large container or tank with water, add some tubing onto the outlet to keep the water inside the container, then plug it in. Check the temp before & after to see how much it raises the temp. If it shoots up the temp, this will become a major problem in the summer time.

Just a word of warning.

Anthony

intarsiabox
07-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Check melevsreef.com, he has a bunch of sump designs and ideas on his site.

scherzo
07-24-2010, 03:50 PM
@Anthony - eek! at least I had the forethought to run it externally.. will that help? I can also easily change it out with something else. - Do you have anything kicking around. (BTW.. The skimmer I have is your old Euroreef RS100 .. bought from someone who bought it from you!!)

As for sump design. I did check out Melev's Reef for designs. I'm actually using his 80 gallon design (slightly modified) because I need (want) to maximize my refugium section since my sump will be viewable. I will be able to have slow flow through the refugium if I want.

I also have an unfortunate size for a sump (48 X 16 X 24.5 H) so I have a strange layout. My refugium section will be (36 X 12 X 24 H) - about 45 gallons.

mark
07-24-2010, 08:27 PM
I'd be looking to keeping the drain as quiet as possible using something like a Herbie (with one drain having full flow and the other drain dry).

Wouldn't get too worried about an exact turn over formula through the sump but often see the gph rating of the skimmer being a minimum but nothing wrong with having the return flow contributing to the overall turn over of the display.

Again my focus would keeping things quiet.

schroeder
07-25-2010, 01:03 AM
The design recommendation that i heard...

...I'm trying to find the sump design on RC, but the page isn't loading :(

HERE IT IS!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=969713

I was intrigued by this concept and am trying something similar on my nano, but without the skimmer. I intend to employ a similar design on my next tank (40b) so I'm testing it out.

... my sump will be viewable. I will be able to have slow flow through the refugium if I want.

...viewable refugium? Maybe not a very pretty design for that eh?