PDA

View Full Version : New cleaner shrimp question?

tony_3a
07-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Hey guys, along with the clean up crew yesterday I bought a cleaner shrimp cause i liked the looks of them and I have read good things. Anyways the i have a purple tip anemone and the shrimp will not leave it alone, it is standing behind it and hitting it with its feelers or whatever those are lol. Im not sure if this is a bad thing, or if i should worry about it or whatever.

Is the anemone going to kill it if it can or whats going on lol.

heres a pic
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy246/tony_3a/IMG00186-20100723-1012.jpg

Also, how does the anemone look? healthy?

trinac
07-23-2010, 06:06 PM
The shrimp might be looking for food. Give it some mysis and he'll probably leave the anemone alone. Anemone's like mysis and pieces of silversides or whatever too.

tony_3a
07-23-2010, 06:25 PM
does the anemone look healthy?

trinac
07-23-2010, 06:34 PM
I am no expert on anemones, but it looks okay. From what I hear anemone's can be finicky, they need pretty stable conditions. He's already in your tank so the best thing you can do would be to stock your tank quite gradually. And feed the anemone every couple days. I hear some feed their anemone every day. If the anemone spits the food out, try giving it a smaller piece. Occassionally it will shrink up and look like its dying... its just expelling waste. If its shrivelled up and its mouth is drooping open, at that point it may be on its deathbed or severly unimpressed by the water quality. Just keep an eye on your conditions and feed it regularly is my best advice.

My anemone sometimes wanders around and gets in a spot where I can't feed him, so I wait till he moves to a more appropriate spot then he gets his silversides again. :lol: