PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Sticks......

pelle31
07-23-2010, 12:30 AM
So when you did you decide to go with SPS? I've always been more partial to the soft corals. So what I'm wanting to know is did you go big on the SPS or did you start out with a smaller tank to try and it,then move onto a bigger tank? My main tank is all soft corals and I had to set up a new tank awhile ago and am thinkin I may try some SPS and see how it does.
Lookin for some advice tips from all you stick lovers out there.

christyf5
07-23-2010, 04:12 AM
I started adding SPS to my tank while it was still mostly softies and a few LPS back when it was a 48 gallon. Once my SPS population started to grow I could clearly see that there was some chemical warfare going on and the softies were not faring well, it was then that I decided to move into SPS fully and upgraded the tank for more space for my growing collection. A bit later on I ended up moving the LPS out as well (frogspawn and hammer corals) as I felt that there was still chemical warfare going on. My tank was strictly SPS for a time with a few zoanthids but now I have added some LPS back in (acans, blastos) as well as ricordea and most recently gorgonians (and another tank upgrade as well to 180 gallons).

I would try SPS in the new tank as I don't feel, personally, that you will be as successful with them in the softy tank as you could be.

pelle31
07-23-2010, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the reply. There will never be SPS in my main tank,that will always be a softie
tank. I'll maybe try and grab a few SPS frags and see how it goes!!!

Rogue951
07-23-2010, 04:25 AM
Seahorse_Fanatic gave me my first SPS haha.. now I'm bugging him for more and the addiction grows! literally...

christyf5
07-23-2010, 04:26 AM
Yeah I try starting out with what I call "the basics" (digitata, birdsnests, porites) and see how they do, or alternatively get some cheap frags from a fellow reefer and see how they do before you fully venture in (with the more expensive frags anyways).

naesco
07-23-2010, 04:36 AM
Yeah I try starting out with what I call "the basics" (digitata, birdsnests, porites) and see how they do, or alternatively get some cheap frags from a fellow reefer and see how they do before you fully venture in (with the more expensive frags anyways).

Or get some neat LPS frags and forget about the sticks.

Dez
07-23-2010, 05:03 AM
I mostly got into sps because of the colours that you just can't find in softies. I also like the measurable growth that you get (eg - seeing an extra branch pop out). I also enjoy the experimental aspect of it - like you're able to change the colour of the sps drastically just by placing in different locations of your tank. I just got a bunch of frags to start and never really turned back. Love em.

shrimpchips
07-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Seeing pictures like this all my life made me want something like this one day. So on day 14 or so I got my first SPS...

http://reefbuilders.com/files/2010/02/Staghorn-coral-acropora-cervicornis-curacao-aldo-croquer.jpg

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-23-2010, 05:46 AM
I'm still mainly an LPS collector but I blame Marie's Regal angel for getting me into sps.

Her angel nibbled on LPS causing her to switch to SPS & the corals I brought down to sell or trade for her also switched to SPS. Now most of my sps are originally Marie's but have also added some nice pieces from other sources (Oceanic Corals most recently, but also other reefers).

Anthony

Aquattro
07-23-2010, 06:17 AM

That's just silly talk!!

BlueTang<3
07-23-2010, 12:50 PM
I was getting bored of lps, then we saw Dez's tank now were all sps :redface:.

fishytime
07-23-2010, 01:16 PM
I got into sps because keeping a softie/lps reef wasnt challenging/fustrating/time consuming/bank account depleting enough:mrgreen:

viperfish
07-23-2010, 01:37 PM
I got into sps because keeping a softie/lps reef wasnt challenging/fustrating/time consuming/bank account depleting enough:mrgreen:

I couldn't agree more. If you truly want this hobby to drive you to the brink, SPS is the only way to go! Of course most feel the rewards are much greater as well.

I think my logic for getting into SPS was the desire to try everything. To experience all types of corals from the non photosynthetic to the extremely sensitive Acros. It's not so much a matter of taste as it is a challenge of skill and knowledge. A very successful SPS tank puts you into a bit of an elite group in this hobby (trust me, I'm not there yet). I've been to a couple of member's houses such as Kein and therealshark, and even if you didn't like SPS would would be blown away.

Skimmerking
07-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Amen Brother

this is what got me going into LPS.
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll382/purpletang00/a1-4.jpg
I simply just love the colors too. I have tried the SPS thing grew them from frags. watched them grow, just wasn't that crazy about that fad. Then people would have there whole tank crashed from a alk drop or something weird. It seems that SPS you look at it the wrong way and it drops like RTN, STN, so at least with LPS there is a little lee way, It seems that SPS there isn't any room for error. Maybe that is what makes Reefing that great. SPS is like the advance level if you can grow, sustain them you are doing OK. at the end Its the movement that i love to see in the tank and easier to tell hows the flow affecting things in the tank.

reefermadness
07-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Most LPS/Softies will never grow and fill a tank in so many wonderful shapes and colours that SPS can. To me things like acans and zoos are colourful but lack the amazing growth form.....and feel 2 dimensional.

Some softies offer great growth forms but no colour. I do like LPS that can offer great colour and growth form such as hammers etc.

In the end nothing will beat a mature grown out SPS tank.....they are rare and beautiful.